Monday, September 17, 2007

Sports "Journalist" Goes on Rant/Crying Jag/Temper Tantrum Agains LSU Coach LSU Miles

I often hear from fans of other schools in Louisiana that LSU gets too much coverage. That the newspapers are all LSU. I am a big fan of LSU and Louisiana Tech. I just find all the sports coverage horrid. What people fail to realize is that most LSU coverage is covering from one man. So if you read the papers owned by Gannett in Lafayette, Alexandria, Monroe, and Shreveport you pretty much are at the mercy of Glen Guilbeau who writes most of the LSU stories. Mr Guilbeau has issues at times. He has posted something on his LSU blog that I expect will be the lead LSU piece in all Louisiana papers outside New Orleans and Baton Rouge tomorrow. Glen often puts his stories on the "lsu blog" he has the various papers and then they run the next day.

His latest Miles injury philosophy hurting is quite something. The first couple of paragraphs read:

BATON ROUGE - In the overall scheme of things during what looks very much like a national championship year, this does not matter very much.
But what's stupid is stupid. And here is another example of Lying State University.
LSU coach Les Miles' philosophy toward relaying injury information is very stupid. It's not completely his fault, though, because he is a football coach, and football coaches tend to see things in a very narrow way, which is one reason why many of them are very successful. But they often view changing their mind on something as a weakness instead of what it can often be as time goes by, which is smart.

Goodness. Basically Mr Guilbeau is upset that he has to do like "work" and Les Miles is not going to tell the whole world and our "opponents" who we have injured and healing.

HE writes:
Therefore, Miles or his handlers confirming or not confirming an injury doesn't really matter because they've lost their credibility on injuries because of their stated "evasive" policy. That's why Miles' non-confirmation didn't make my story.Coaches need to realize that most of the time - like this time - the injury news is going to get out anyway. So they need to realize that they need to get out at the front of the information. That way they can control it, and coaches like control almost as much as winning. This is what the media savvy coaches do. This is what Miles needs to start doing. Now, Miles is leaving so many questions unanswered about injuries that he leaves his players and his players' contacts vulnerable to questions that he could have at least partly answered.Miles' handling of Doucet's injury has caused more questions and rumors than if he had just said what it is. In this example, he has thus caused more pain for his player.

This such BS and he knows it. Doucet is not having any pain caused by this. It is also very wrong. Last year Les Miles was catching tons of grief because QB Matt Flynn was not getting hardly any time. What the world did not know was that he was injured and was kept a successful secret till about 6 games into the season when some CBS announcers talked about it. Les for obvious reasons did not want that getting out. LSU fans on Tigerdroppings.com on this thread made further observations:
Miles' injury reports or lack thereof pissed me off too at one time. Then one day after the Peach Bowl, I ran into Zinger and he had a cast on his hand and wrist, halfway up the forearm. I asked him if it happened in the game, and his reply was late in the season. This was never mentioned anywhere, but it left him unable to be a legitimate option as a receiver. Had his injury been reported, Georgia and Miami definitely would have gained an advantage, IMO. I no longer question Miles' tactics.

Another poster said:
Or when Chris Jackson played half a year with a hurt elbow and nobody knew about it. He couldn't even throw a ball 20 yards, but other coaches thought he could so they had to watch for a fake punt.

Calm down Mr Guilbeau. I am sure you can live without Les Miles telling you and our opponents about every illness we have on the team.

5 comments:

GumboFilé said...

Gannett doesn't own the paper in Lake Charles. It's been owned by the Shearman family for at least two generations. Sports editor Scooter Hobbs has been covering LSU for over 30 years. He can be as annoying as Guilbeau at times, but at least he's not Guilbeau. IMHO, the Lake Charles American Press is perhaps the best in the state.

I don't recall how I found your blog but it must have been from googling LSU. I've been checking it every few days for the last few weeks. I appreciate the sports coverage and the church coverage. I'm not Roman Catholic but I do recognize the importance of what happens in the most prominent of churches.

David Hays
Grand Coteau

James H said...

Thanks for you comments. Thank you also for letting me know about the American Press. I thought for some reason they were owned by Gannett. I will correct

James H said...

By the way I visted your blogs. I hope you start up again. I love Grand Couteau and your links were very interesting too.

Anonymous said...

"I am a big fan of LSU and Louisiana Tech."

Who will you be rooting for in November?

James H said...

I will be rooting for Louisiana Tech. I got a degree from both schools however Tech is my undergrad school. Loyalty calls. What is ironic is this situation is much like when LSU got the National Championship and I had to root for Tech that year lol.

I intend to do a post on how a LSU fan in my situation feels to be Tigerbaited. Sort of a undercover like expose of how opposing fans are treated if I get to go to the game