Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Louisiana Catholic Blogger Roundup For August 29th

Today's Roundup is huge. I start doing this at night or at least getting the links together so sorry for the delay. While I am without a computer at home this week it is causing some problems. Here are the links with some of my commentary

Starting Out In the Diocese of Lafayette.

Catholic Tube has a couple of Vids up. In the post below I have already talked about this promotional vid for a College Retreat in Lafayette that is this weekend. He has another vid which is pretty interesting. There is a Catholic town being built in Florida. The founder gives a interview here.

From the Recaimer has a pretty good post up. She talks about St Augustine and has a ton of important historic information for yesterday too. I want to highlights one of those many facts she mentions:
On this date in history, in 1565 the Spanish admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés sighted land on in Florida on this date, and consequently named the settlement he established the next month San Agustín. (Saint Augustine, Florida, is the oldest continuously occupied European-established city in the continental United States.).
If you really want to get me started on a rant, then ask me about the quality of history Classes being taught in Schools. Not only is it dismal the lack of focus on our Catholic related history is sad.

Getting off my Soap Box We go to the Diocese of Alexandria.

Thoughts & Ruminations from Fr. Ryan has updated and has got a couple of very interesting post up. He has a great post called Some Thoughts on Obedience. He has funny a couple of other funny post and What we learn from the movies under his Tuesday Entry. Go check them out.

Heading Down to the Diocese of Baton Rouge We have a ton of Catholic Blogging going on:

Full Circle has a great post where he is asking Catholic Converts this question which is also the title of his post What freedoms did you gain as a Catholic? I intend to give my response in his comment section later.

Astonished, Yet at Home! has a series of great posts as usual. Here is a post on the The Beheading of Saint John the Baptist .

We are remembering New Orleans ,Louisiana, Mississippi , and the entire Gulf Coast today at his blog and the horrid event of Katrina. I am glad he is doing this. The whole thing is quite painful for me to post on. Last night I saw a Louisiana Public Broadcasting Show on Katrina and Rita last night. It just made me depressed especially as to the issue of Coastal Erosion. That whole issue makes me mad and I am going to talk about it more as Rita approaches.

Oh goodness you want to see this. Astonished has You Tube Vid of Fats Domino in Milano, 1962 - Walking to New Orleans . That vid just made my day

Speaking of Music oh my gosh. This is great. We all remember down here when the had their first game in the dome after Katrina last year. I get chills thinking about it. Anyway here is a great performance U2 and Green Day - The Saints Are Coming . They were great at that game. He has another You Tube Vid that I will watch latter. I can only watch so many at a time without getting teary eyed called Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans? He has a post that is hopeful called Hope For the City . In his post Looking at Recovery he has a link of photos from the Baton Rouge Advocate that looks at the recovery 2 years later.

This post is a must read called Generosity Rescues Woman From Katrina Despair . That Baptist man is doing what St Benedict has talked about what all Christians should be doing. If you look at the Pope's Angelus from Sunday when he said "Nor will it suffice to declare ourselves 'friends' of Christ, alleging false merits: "We ate and drank in your presence, and you have taught in our squares" (Lk 13,26). True friendship with Christ is expressed in how we live: it is expressed with goodness of heart, with humility, kindness and mercy, love for justice and truth, sincere and honest commitment to peace and reconciliation. This, we might say, is the 'identity card' that qualifies us as authentic 'friends' of Christ. This is the 'passport' that will allow us to enter into eternal life."

Tobias has a post called Making Red Wine Better? Another great You Tube Music Vid Randy Newman - Louisiana 1927

Returning to Louisiana He has this important link Dear Presidential Hopefuls . I am going to be doing a series of post like this during the next couple of weeks including today. I suspect it will not make some people happy but it needs to be said. Expect that post up before Noon hopefully.

Keep praying for Astonished Father. There is good news at Good News Concerning My Father . HE has a interesting post that Tobias agrees with it appears Father Rutler Against Kindergarten and Schooling in General . I have to read it because it strike me as a bad idea right off the bat. I shall see if my mind is changed. Oh he hits on the immigration issue here with Choose Quickly: Mexicans or Nazis . Some people involved in this are not quite nice. I know I received threats from them on my former blog. I said some not ALL. I really urge people to read this post about the World's future military and how that related to the low child birth rate at One-Child Foreign Policy . I really wished that article had hit on China more. I think we could have a crisis there because of this that might get out of control.

He has a post that I don agree with at at all at Conservative Opposition to Our Absurd Middle Eastern Policy :) He has got a great link here at Such Beauty Can't Disappear which looks at how at beauty tells us a lot about God. HE has a Great Post with lots of Links on St Augustine at I Find No Rest Until I Rest In Thee . A great post on What Makes Southern Sweet Tea So Special?

Tobias goes off into another interesting but I believe wrong headed link at Vietnam's Real Lessons . I wish I had to go into what that article gets so wrong. However Tobias cleverly has posted so much good stuff I don't have time to give my insightful commentary :). Maybe later
A good link to a vid here at Debating the War

If there is link of his you need to see I decided it must be this one at Love and War . That photo is something else and so many lesson jump out at me.

Kudos to Mitch Landrieu ,FINALLY, for coming out against this anti catholic ad that the state democrats are running. I am keeping track of who is and who not is speaking out. Tobias has the details at More Would Be Better, Still Props to Mitch Landrieu . He has a post on Mother Teresa at Mother Teresa's Dark Night An Expiation for Atheism? Tobias has this horrible story here Abortion of Wrong Twin Leads to Two Deaths .

WOW Tobias tired me out typing and reading all that great stuff. I expect I will be on site a good part of the day when I get a break.

Now we go the the always very busy bee THE BROWN PELICAN SOCIETY. He starts out the day with
He has article on the latest scandal in the Senate What in the World is Going on in the U.S. Senate? Is Larry Craig The Face Of The U.S. Senate? I am going to make two comments here as to this. First I find it incredible he plead guilty to anything. I understand about getting it over with. However from a pure legal standpoint and after looking at the police report I don't think there is anyway they could have got a conviction at Court. Also let me comment on the first part of this article "Larry Craig will almost certainly resign his Senate seat. But Craig is a symptom of a deeper problem plaguing our politics. Until voters insist on honesty rather than payoffs, corruption will remain endemic to the halls of power..." Let me say that this has little to with the power and corruption of DC or any other similar talking point. This is some sexual fetish that I am not defending at all. But lets get real here. This has nothing to do with the DC culture.

The Pelican has a link to a National Review Article called Bobby Jindal is the GOP’s Cajun hope.
The Brown Pelican has another good link to a article called Louisiana’s Political Storm. I think that is a good read and much of its true. It is also amazing that the National Review has picked up on a fact that so many here in Louisiana have not. Let me quote this part:
It’s probably true that black voters will make up a smaller portion of Louisiana’s electorate than they did in the gubernatorial election of four years ago, when Democrat Kathleen Blanco narrowly defeated Jindal. Yet the drop-off is far less precipitous than some have suggested. Based on utility and postal records, the consulting firm GCR & Associates estimates that the July population of New Orleans topped 273,000 — a little more than 60 percent of its pre-Katrina level. (Another organization, the Greater New Orleans Community Data Center, says the figure is closer to two-thirds.)
Many of the vanished voters are black Democrats, but a lot of them left only the city, not the state. GCR predicts that 1.6 million voters will participate in this fall’s election and that Katrina will have diluted the black share by roughly 40,000 votes, or 2.5 percent
.

I keep pointing this out. Last year we had a very interesting Mayor's election in Shreveport Louisiana. The downstate papers oblivious to all politics north of I-10 failed to see the significance of what was going on. The Democrat party redoubled their get out the vote efforts and it was widely successful. At the time I thought it was a waste of money. Boy was I wrong . What we saw was a dry run of the Democrat party making up for the loss of their machine in New Orleans. Contrary to what you read North Louisiana is not all "white" republican and conservative. In fact we have a large population of African Americans up here that generally votse democrat. In other words they are going to be able to make up the loss of that machine. I think only one political scientist in Louisiana has picked up on this and what is happening up here and elsewhere.

THE POINT OF MONASTIC LIFE is a nice link that he has today. Another link on Senator Craig is located here at REGARDING SEN. CRAIG, CONSERVATIVES AND LIBERALS. The Pelican has a very interesting link here Milwaukee's Holy Cross Cemetery - Resting Place for Over 1,000 Aborted Babies.
The Brown Pelican has a post here with tons of links that I am sure a lot of Catholics will not like that is Trying to Skirt the Pope's (Cardinal Ratzinger's) Negative Appraisal of Harry Potter. I am pretty agnostic on the issue myself and I expect the criticisms are the off the mark myself.

The Pelican brings us good Pro-Life news at Nebraska's Catholic (Jesuit) Creighton University Cancels Pro-Abortion Speaker. This link of his is interesting and fun Vatican-Backed Airline Service Makes Inaugural Flight. HE has the SAINT OF THE DAY - THE BEHEADING OF JOHN THE BAPTIST. Lastly he has the meditations on today's Mass readings here at TODAY'S GOSPEL & MEDITATION - Witness to the Truth.

Down to the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

BY the way there must be a gaggle of Bloggers down here especially in this Diocese that I am not aware of. If you know of one let me know

Fr. Victor Brown’s Catholic Daily Message has a great post on Saint we honored yesterday. That post is located here. One can never get enough St Augustine :)

That is it for the Louisiana Catholic blogger Roundup for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some, however, will try to take over the garden bed.
Small and soft skin growths acquired on the skin are called skin tags.
Those with sensitive skin should not use it as it can irritate.


Feel free to surf to my website :: How to get rid of warts