Monday, July 30, 2007

The Always Fun Filioque Debate

Michael Joseph is one of the regular posters over at Vox Nova. I enjoy his zeal a lot even though I disagree with some of his posts. Especially those post and comments about horrid right wing nationalist Catholics sacrificing their Catholicism on the Altar of Mars :) .

However he is one smart cookie. He has a nice post on the The Semantics of the Filioque that is pretty good . I am probally going to start a category on this. There has been an huge amount of time spent by Catholic bloggers engaging Eastern Orthodox bloggers on this issue the past year. Catholic bloggers have had no choice because some Orthodox bloggers have been very aggressive on this subject as well as numerous others "controversies".

Once I start digging into these Catholic/Eastern Orthodox controversies whether it be the Filioque, or Divine Energies versus Absolute Divine Simplicty, or Original sin I find that it appears that our approaches often compliment each other. That is they are not in opposition.

This brings to mind the comments of John Paul the II that said the Orthodox are the second lung of the Church. Many Orthodox bloggers(NOT ALL) hate that term by the way. Oh well.
I shall try to touch on this some. It is important because some converts to Orthodoxy really go after Catholics on this issue and others. I also think that the reconcilation of West and the East is one of the most important goals we should have. I am of the mind that if this tragic split had not occured the Reformation as we know it would not have had happened

I am no expert in this realm and to be honest my head starts hurting pretty fast once I dive into it. Perhaps using this blog we can make some progress on that.

No comments: