Wednesday, November 14, 2007

An Rare Look Into College Football - Meet the Man that has Guarded LSU Coaches For 26 Years

I thought this was a insightful article about hidden aspects LSU football , and perhaps football at other schools, that we the fans don't see.

The Tiger Athletic Association at their site has a great article called Major Mike Edmonson. Just scroll down to see it. These law enforcement officials we see on TV are often the object of some jabs by bloggers and the media. They always seem to be in the right place in the camera shot for that end of the game coaches interview on TV. However, this article is an illuminating that their job is much more than what we see. I was rather shocked on how involved they are off the field. Especially as to recruiting. Here are some good excerpts:
Exploration with visiting teams…I have met some incredible coaches throughout the years including Lou Holtz when he was with Notre Dame and Coach Dooley with Georgia. I thought it was really inspiring when Notre Dame came to LSU and the players got off of the buses at the Union. The players would walk around campus and fellowship with our students. I thought about this being a team that we wanted to “beat badly” on Saturday night and they were out there meeting LSU students. The players wanted to learn about life at LSU. I remember Coach Dooley was a big history buff. As they traveled to different places he wanted his team to learn about the history of that city. We brought them downtown and they learned about Baton Rouge and its place in history. Coach Holtz and Coach Dooley were two memorable men.

Wow How times have changed. It would be great if we could recapture that.

He talks at length about past coaches. On Coach Saban:
Coach Saban and I were extremely close. I was able to visit with him before the Alabama game, and it was emotional seeing him and his wife. You can say what you want about the man, but the way I look at it is I respect what he did academically and athletically at LSU. I respect what he helped foster and grow here at LSU. I respect what he did for the players. That is what I respect and remember about him. His decision to leave, to go to Miami, to go to Alabama is something he has to live with. He has told me many times that he wished he never left LSU. But that is that.

On Coach Miles:
you take great attributes from all of our former coaches and put them together you have Coach Les Miles. Here again, a very charismatic and Christian man, one who is good with all walks of life. He is concerned more with building a relationship with the recruit’s parents as well the player. He wants the parents to know he cares about their academic as well as athletic success. Coach Miles is very appreciative and humbled as a coach at LSU and being part of its family. He lives the family atmosphere and his wife Cathy and children are as much a part of Baton Rouge as any of us. Coach Miles has an incredible gift with people. As we have traveled around the state, he is always asking about the area and the people that live there. He is interested in the history and he loves local food and taking time to enjoy it with local people, fans or not. The players like him and respect him, the students and staff like him and respect him, and I believe the fans like him and respect him. I sure do.


I was very surprised that they travel with the Coaches so much when recruiting and even are in the players homes. I thought this was very interesting:
On putting in “two cents” when coaches are recruiting… I try not to, but sometimes I have in the past when it has been just me and the coaches. Coach Archer and DiNardo used to ask me if I observed the same thing they did. And Coach Saban and I were very close in that aspect and we would visit. And I really like this about Coach Miles – not to take away from any of our former coaches – but, some coaches would ask me questions about things while driving down the road and not seem really interested in the answer. However, Coach Miles asks questions and he really wants to know. Coach Miles is very interested in his surroundings.

Good Read

No comments: