Friday, April 20, 2012

In New Orleans Retired Priests Find They Can Be Really Priests

“I told (former) Archbishop (Alfred) Hughes the other day, ‘Now I am doing the things that the seminary prepared me to do as a priest,’” Msgr. Tomasovich said, smiling. “I can go hear confessions. I can talk to people about their problems. I don’t have any administration to do or have to fix things or write reports. That’s all been waived. After all these years, I’m free to be a priest!”
“What has struck me is how the archdiocese is really taking care of us in our retirement,” said Msgr. Roy, the former Holy Spirit pastor who has moved to St. John Vianney. “They make sure we have a social worker who is assigned to us. Your grass is cut, and someone comes in to clean one day a week.”



A nice and illuminating story from the Catholic Newspaper of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

No comments: