Monday, January 14, 2008

Francis Beckwith Weighs In On Huckabee and Anti Catholicism Saga(Lesson for the Future)

Note He Does Not Endorse anyone- However He talks ABout the Hagee Apsect in a Calm Reasonable Manner. In fact the comment section gets interesting as they discuss a wider range of topics (I wanted to add this so it is clear) However I think he puts a much need context

Major Catholic Revert Dr. Frank Beckwith has weighed in on the Faux Huckabee is anti Catholic Controversy. Needless to say he is someone that should be paid attention to. Rod Dreher explains:
Frank Beckwith, a leading Evangelical scholar who returned to the Catholicism of his youth last year, explains in a combox below why he's not offended by Protestant pastors like John Hagee who strongly reject Catholicism. In fact, he'd rather stand with them than with the tolerance uber alles crowd

Go see Cruncy Con's post Liberal geldings, Huckabee and Hagee. Be sure to read the comment section. Dr Beckwith really interacts and it gets interesting. Though it wanders off the Hagee stuff

For back ground see my post ALL Catholic Michigan Republicans Being Targeted With Anti Huckabee Material Please Read

OH and See Rod's message to Catholics on Huckabee at Huck's even worse Catholic problem where he ask Catholics to vote for Mike Huckabee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by. A couple of years ago, I did an extensive study of Catholicism, going to many masses, seminars, and conferences. I'm an evangelical Christian and some Catholic friends, one of whom was a convert, though I should convert as well and fed me a lot of literature.

I didn't convert, but I learned a lot. I studied philosophy in college and was aware of the tradition of Catholic philosophical scholarship. But, I got to better understand The Church and its ecclesiology. I was never an anti-Catholic, but have seen it and was referred to some such literature. I reject that. There is still some Catholic doctrine that I don't identify with and I came to better understand how it developed.

But, heck, as you surely know, there is plenty of Protestant doctrine that I don't identify with, either, there being tens of thousands of versions of it. :-)

I believe there are true and false Christians in both Catholic and Protestant churches. Jesus asked Peter, "Who do you say that I am?" Peter said, "Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God." When we have established that, to debate Christian faith over smaller details is a dstructive thing for Christians to do, and totally antithetical to the teachings of Christ and the apostles. I think Mike Huckabee would endorse that.

As for the establishment conservatives (that I have re3ad all of my life), I'm about to spew them out of my mouth.