Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Ron Paul Surprise In Louisiana

Louisiana has it Caucus tonight. I have ranted on how I think the way we are doing this is insane

Observations. No news to anyone here that I am Huckabee fan. However I am a realist and John McCain is my second choice. So here are my thoughts.

I sent a email to a McCain supporter that she pray that Huckabee gets a infusion of cash and soon. I do think that is helping McCain by making sure there is not defections to Romney.

Why is this important? It appears to me that the Romney has a lot of the party establishment than the McCain folks. I saw a email about his Louisiana committee for Romney and was impressed. If he is doing this in Louisiana what is doing in Mississipi, Alabama, etc. Huckabee even if he does not make it takes away enough vote from Romney to assure that he has problems in the South and elsewhere.

McCain in Louisiana has Buddy Roemer(ex governor) behind him. However I am not sure that is such a great asset.

However that might not be the news story. I have been telling Huckabee people(we are not well organized now here) , The McCain people, and the Romney people to watch the Louisiana Ron Paul folks for weeks. Pretty much people think I am crazy. However I sense something is up.

The fact that Huckabee, Romney, or McCain has done no active political work here themselves(like showing up) might bite them tonight. The National Review just caught on to what I have been yelling about for weeks.

HORSERACE, RON PAUL
For What It's Worth, Louisiana Caucuses

This Evening Louisiana has its Republican caucus this evening, but as usual, the rules are complicated. Voters today will be voting for delegates to the state convention, who will select the delegates to the national GOP convention. Details: Louisiana's Republican voters will head to the polls today at 11 different caucus sites to cast their ballots for delegates and alternate delegates to the Louisiana Republican Convention.

Voters can cast ballots from 5:00 pm until 8:00 pm this evening.

The state convention will choose the bulk of Louisiana's delegates to the Republican National Convention. Louisiana will have a total of 47 delegates and 44 alternates to the national convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota... Fifteen delegates and fifteen alternates to the state convention will be elected from each congressional district.

Republican voters are eligible to vote in the congressional district where they were registered on November 30, 2007. In order to participate, voters must present a drivers license or valid photo I.D. The state convention will be held Feb. 16 at the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge. All of Louisiana's 2008 national convention delegates will be uncommitted.

But if a presidential candidate receives more than 50 percent of the vote in the Feb. 9 presidential primary, state party rules require 20 of Louisiana's at-large delegates to support that candidate on the first ballot of the national convention.

If no presidential candidate receives a majority on Feb. 9, the at-large delegates will be uncommitted. So there's this caucus to determine who goes to the state convention, but the actual delegates are uncommitted, unless someone gets 50 percent in a crowded field.

I guess the importance of today depends on how uncommitted those "uncommitted" delegates actually are. If one candidate sweeps tonight, their supporters could stock the Louisiana delegation with supporters when the state convention meets Feb. 16. The only Republican candidate in Louisiana last night? Ron Paul.

It would be very interesting to see who this delgates that are running. Who in a word is Ron Paul's slate. I wished I researched these names this weekend. Again we might be in for a very big shock!!!

HUCKABEE SUPPORTERS PLEASE VOTE TONIGHT

2 comments:

GumboFilé said...

It bothers me that Ron Paul is the only R candidate who Huck says he could not support as the R nominee. He could support Giuliani but he could not support Ron Paul? What's so wrong with Ron Paul?

David in Grand Coteau

hahajohnnyb said...

Ron Paul is the last true conservative left in the race, assuming that Hunter, Tancredo or Thompson were true conservatives. Mike Huckabee is not a conservative. He's a Christian and he is pro-life, but so is Ron Paul.

Only reason I can think that Republicans do not like Ron Paul is that they are married to this Iraq war. I'm pretty agnostic about the war myself, we could stay or go, I really do not care. Since I do not care if we stay in Iraq or not, I kinda see it as a huge waste of human life and money that provides absolutely no benefit for Americans.

I'm far more concerned about the explosion of our national ebt, the curtailment of our civil liberties and the the growing police state under the auspices of The Dept. Of Homeland Security.

Ron Paul is the only guy talking about my concerns, and the only guy who represents what I have always felt the United States of America stood for. If we do not elect Ron Paul then we deserve every thing that we are going to get, well not really, but win or lose, Ron Paul could do for the Republican Party what Barry Goldwater did for the republican Party.