Monday, October 15, 2007

For All Christian Conservatives That Want to Bolt the GOP- READ THIS

Update- Want to see a Conservative that is exactly where I am out. Go read Called As Seen at Open Letter to Redstate

I need to start following my own advice. I have pontificated to others that all this "We will leave the GOP if Giuliani get the Nomination" is counterproductive. Partly because we are not talking about our own people that are also running. Therefore I am going to be posting more Huckabee for President posts in the future. Something I have gotten away from the last month.

My latest thoughts on this subject can be seen at my post Why Opinionated Catholic is Voting the Elephant. Also I wrote on this subject at Pro-Lifers , Conservatives, and Christians Need to take Lessons From the David Duke Race.

It seems that this writer at TownHall in an article entitled Dobson's ultimatum agrees with me. It is a great read and I hope people engage it.

Here are a few excerpts:
one email correspondent who professed “evangelical roots” and “great admiration” for religious right leaders Dr. James Dobson and Family Research Council President Tony Perkins wrote me last week:
I am angry at [Dr. Dobson and Mr. Perkins] for trying to essentially scare me into voting in a particular way.
What Dr. Dobson has done is to try to influence my vote not by offering open support for an electable pro-life candidate but by threatening me with the specter of virtually handing the election to Hillary Clinton unless I, as a Republican, vote to nominate an avowedly pro-life candidate. This is flat out bullying of the religious right in the name of "principle."
Certainly, neither of these honorable, patriotic men means to elicit such sentiments. But similar opinions are being voiced in many conservative circles, and they threaten to undermine the credibility and good-will to which the religious right is entitled after years of hard work and committed leadership
.

Exactly. As I wrote last week when comparing such threats to a infamous Louisiana election last decade:
When election day came you could divide the Duke Vote in several segments. They were the (1)"true racists(the minority), 2) People who hated the incumbent, and (3) people who honestly bought into Duke's statements that he had changed.However there was one group that many have often estimated that was 25 to 30 percent of his vote. Those people were folks that in the privacy of the voting booth , tired of being told what to do and threatened for months said" The hell with it I shall show them" and proceeded to vote for Duke. Never underestimate how a generally non interested voter will do the opposite of what you want them to do when there are threats in the air.

Also let me warn people that wish to go down this road. This is much more than about abortion to many people as the article above alludes too. There are many people that are GOP pro-life and Christian that have been attacked repeatedly the last few years by members of our own party. Many of them well known bloggers. I cannot tell you how much anti Catholic hate mail I got and snide remarks from fellow conservatives because I spoke out for Comprehensive immigration reform. If one supported the Dubai Terminal Lease deal then were you person non Gratia. In other words on many issues there has been talk of threats. If the GOP doesn't do X we shall bolt was a familiar mantra I was hearing from others and seeing in my email every day. The problem is one cannot do that every other week. That too is in the background.

Numerous bloggers that are Christian and Pro-life have spoken out against this madness. Including The Anchoress here at her post Clintons and the Christians third party gambit - UPDATED. She writes :
I’m going to hate watching Mrs. Clinton assume the presidency with 42% of the vote, like her husband did, and I’m going to hate watching her get sworn in in January ‘09, while her husband holds the big bible and bites his lip, and I’m going to really hate everything that comes after it. So will you.
The third-party pipe-dreamers will once again make the Clinton tag team victorious. And with a Supreme Court likely to need three quick replacements in ‘09, the third party folks will watch as the court becomes a permanent 5-4 liberal majority activist court - for decades. Decades, folks.


The America you think you’re going to “preserve” with your third party candidate may become unrecognizable in a very short time. The Roe v Wade you think you’re going to reverse with your unelectable third candidate will seem almost quaint when compared with the “compassionate” euthanasia and the “practical, community-serving, environment saving” limitations on life you’ll be watching get handed down as law by an activist court determined to see the Constitution as a “living” and flexible document.

And all of this will come about because the only person seemingly capable of beating the Clinton’s wasn’t a good enough Christian for the Christian right. I think it’s a mistake, folks. Create a third party in order to give yourselves a “good Christian” to vote for - one who doesn’t offend any of your principals - and you lose. And life loses, too.
If Jesus were here today, walking with - just say for arguments sake - Rudy Giuliani, would you be among those asking him why he was eating with those sinners over there, those tax collectors and Galileans who were not perfect in faith and observance?
Jesus didn’t give the Keys to the Kingdom to a “suitable” candidate who had long-proved his religious bona fides. He gave them to a self-admitted “sinful man,” an impetuous man with a temper and a touch of cowardice - no one’s “ideal” of a leader - who was also a rock. And let’s not forget that Jesus’ very earliest followers would have had a hard time swallowing Saul as a likely instrument for Christ. Then he became Paul. God uses whom he chooses and he doesn’t need your approval to do it.

We have already seen - twice, now - that a pro-life Christian president does not translate into pro-life policies. Even when the Congress managed to pass a ban on partial birth abortions that law was stayed within hours by the courts.
The courts are where Christians need to keep their focus. And even a “sinful man,” can serve the cause for life, in the courts, if he is the sort of man who has displayed in his career, a respect for the constitution and the rule of law......
If the Christians lose sight of the fact that they too are sinners, and go about looking for that unelectable pure candidate to vote for (“at least I will be able to vote my principals!”) then they will effectively be voting for the pro-abortion Democrat candidate, and endorsing all those new SCOTUS judges, too. Think about that while we watch the right begin to assemble its circular firing squad
.

Amen to that. I disagree with her that Giuliani is only answer. That is why I shall make the case for Huckabee more the coming weeks.

A side note here. When one gets nasty in the political world and tries to create a revolution one find he or she cannot always control it. I saw that in the immigration debate. What should have been a good reasoned debate turned into a big cluster you know what. Soon the debate was not even about immigration but about settling old scores. Once you let the genie out of the bottle you can't always put it back in. A few days later The Anchoress said:

Meanwhile, Kathy Shaidle has an interesting question for the Rudy-haters on the right. I don’t know if I think the answer posed by the question is true - I am very friendly with many Evangelicals who have moved beyond distrusting Catholics, and I know more than a few who have already declared they’ll vote for Rudy if he is the nominee - but it is still an interesting question, especially on a day when I have gotten some hate mail from fellow Christians who think I know nothing of scripture or theology because I’m “only a Catholic,” or who express some doubt as to whether I might be a Christian at all because of my Roman perspective. My favorite of those was the guy who sent me a link to this article and declared the Pope should read the bible and get acquainted with Christianity, which is odd, since the piece doesn’t quote His Holiness at all, but whatever..

Now she is reacting to the mail she got because of the post I linked to and quoted. Also for the record I really don't think that the opposition to Rudy is based on anti Catholicism. In fact Evangelical Pro-lifers want Rudy acting more CATHOLIC not less. Still that is a small example of how things get out of control when the call is issued of " BURN BABY BURN VIVA REVOLUTION and WE ARE ON A BLUES BROTHER MISSION FROM GOD TO BRING THE WHOLE DARN GOP DOWN IF WE DON'T" GET OUR WAY!!

The problem is that people that issue that message can't control the million messengers that are proclaiming it. Especially in this Internet age. It is all very dangerous. I saw that during the immigration debate and we are about to See it again if this folly proceeds.

Already the Moderates are over reacting, because they feel attacked, and are saying things in anger about Christian conservatives I find offensive. But Revolutions are like that.

After the American Civil war , I suspect most people look at the lost treasure, lives, etc and went whose damn idea was this. Civil wars are costly affairs.

Unlike the American Civil war the GOP civil war might result in humpty dumpty not being able to be put back together. Then we pro-lifers shall find ourselves as impotent as our counterparts in Canada and the UK.

No comments: