Friday, October 12, 2007

Why Opinionated Catholic Is Voting The Elephant

If you noticed at the top left of my blog there is a new section and a huge ole Button. Basically this is a list of blogs that are showing their support of the Republican Party. Over the last couple of weeks some religious conservatives have proclaimed if Rudy get the GOP nod that they will bolt the party. I have tried to show why this is folly. These threats months before an election takes place will do nothing to help a pro-life Republican get the nomination. In fact I am convinced it will do nothing but insure that Hillary Clinton is elected in November of next year.

I will fight a Giuliani nomination tooth and nail.There is no way I want him being the nominee. In fact I plan to put this banner

on this blog as soon as I figure out how to put it by Blessed Mike VI. However if after the convention he is the nominee it is a no brainer. I much rather have Rudy than Hillary. At least it is highly likely we shall have a Pro-life VP. I detest Rudy's stance on abortion and other issues. I find it horrible that he is a Catholic and espousing these views.

But there are crucial differences between Rudy and Hillary Clinton. Let us just examine the abortion question.

Rudy ,to his credit, when told of that he might be denied communion says that is the Bishops right to do.

Hillary Clinton belongs to a party that increasingly thinks such actions are a VIOLATION OF SEPARATION AND STATE. In other words one party seems to want to make active war on my beliefs and the right to present them in the public square while Rudy doesn't.

As the Vatican Cardinal Secretary of State said in Nashville at this press conference two months ago:

(Q) In 2004 there was a great debate in the United States about those politicians who support abortion and whether they should be denied Communion. In the 2008 election we may also see Catholics running for office, including those who support abortion.

(A) Is this a debate beyond the United States and is this something where the Vatican may wish to issue guidelines to guide the I don’t think that it is necessary to repeat new norms because the norms are well explained in the doctrine of the Church, and those norms which deal with the proper stance of individuals who want to receive Communion.I don’t understand how a person in public office or one engaged in political activity can be obliged to renounce his Catholic identity because the party, be it in the U.S. or in other countries, imposes an ethical choice on the basis of the party’s program.This, according to me, does not respect freedom of conscience. It even seems to me to be an oppression of conscience. Where is the freedom of conscience that is so proclaimed and defended in America?
I am speaking here about the question of abortion, about homosexual marriage, about embryonic research, all the points that were discussed so eloquently yesterday by the Supreme Knight, Mr. Anderson
.

The Secretary of State is of course not thrilled with Rudy or any Catholic politician that is pro choice. However that part I bolded is not pointed to RUDY or the GOP. It is in reference to parties where all pro-life views are silenced. I believe this was a direct response to the democrats actions I have in the above link.

I keep hearing some Catholics say "well we will not just vote!!!!" Please. Let us remember that we have our young men and women fighting the War on Terror. I would think after 9/11 abstaining from voting would not be a option.

A third party run IMHO is not an option for many reasons. Mainly because it is doomed to fail. There will not be one state that will be won under that option. Thus as a Catholic I have to consider my responsibilities in line with what the Churches teaches. I will have no problem supporting Rudy if it comes to it compared to the alternative.

However we are far from that point. We have several viable pro-life GOP nominees that have an excellent shot to get the nod. We pro-lifers need to be spending our time supporting them rather than talking about bolting. It is all self defeating in the long run the path that some wish us to take.

No comments: