Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Huckabee Is Gaining More Ground. Rod Dreher Gives Love Today

Tip of the hat to Astonished Yet At Home who has this link to Dreher's piece More Huck love. It is a very good read. Now I like Dreher even though as I noted he often is allowing himself to wallow in sea of negativism. However When I hear this from him It is a good sign:
"I have little use for the GOP field this year, but I gotta say the more I see Mike Huckabee, the more I like and admire him. An Obama-Huckabee race in 2008 would probably be as inspiring as a Clinton-Giuliani race would be depressing. I love the way Huckabee came into the Values Voter hootenanny this past weekend and won the audience over with nothing more powerful than his oratory. Marvelous."

Huckabee again is a winner. The more people see him the more people like him. Let me comment on the link he references in his post. That is Huckabee showed up the leadership of the Religious Right. This is a REDSTATE post. I see the myth continues:
The social conservatives do not want to rally around Huckabee because he is as distasteful to fiscalcons as Rudy is to socons. Even Tony Perkins, the head of FRC, said he hoped the social conservative candidate would be palatable to the fiscal conservatives out there. Huckabee is not.
And here we arrive at the conundrum for the GOP and the Press. While the media has been filled with stories about the socons ready to bolt from the GOP if Rudy is the nominee, the real story and the untold story is that the business community is even more ready to bolt from the GOP. For the last eight years they've watched as the socons have scored every significant win on the right — stem cells, judges, etc. Only against Labor have the fiscal guys scored wins. But there have been no budget cuts, no culling of pork, steel subsidies, etc.
The fiscal guys see the writing on the wall. They see Hillary's position. And they are just about ready to cut a deal. And then you have the Republican libertarians who are just about ready to really vote for Ron Paul, doing to the GOP in 2008 what Ralph Nader voters did for the Democrats in 2000.
Huckabee breaks the coalition more than Giuliani because the socons fear Hillary more than the fiscalcons do. And that is why we won't see too many of the socon leaders rallying to the clear favorite of the socon base
.

Let me say I take certain items I read at Redstate with a grain of salt. Mainly because I am not sure how much unbiased perspective we are getting. I often think some of the contributors are not being upfront on whose payroll they might be. I am not saying that contributor fits into that category. There are just trends in posting that raise my eyebrows.

The fact is Huckabee is a fiscal conservative. This sounds very much like some of the Dishonest and misleading Club for Growth propaganda that has never liked Huckabee from the start. Now I see no massive "bolt of the business community" at the least the ones we have from the GOP. I am tad dubious over this. That being said in that litany of complaints he mentions there is a legitimate biggie that he left out. That is the how the business community felt it was treated during the immigration debate. You can't basically call the US Chamber of Commerce greedy people akin to slaveholders and not have repercussions. That happened. Huckabee understands that and has experience with the issues of immigration and business as GOv of Arkansas

No comments: