Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oh Goodness More Progress In Iraq- Don't Look(Also What This means For Huckabee)

AJ has another magnificent post at We Can Declare “Major Progress” In Iraq. Here is one news excerpt he has:

The U.S. troop surge in Iraq continues to have positive effects, as violence and casualties are decreasing in many areas of the country, the Joint Staff’s director for operational planning said today.
In and around Baghdad, terrorist operations are down by 59 percent; operations targeting Iraqi forces are down more than 60 percent; car bombs are down by 65 percent; fatalities due to car bombs are down by 81 percent; casualties due to enemy attacks are down by 77 percent; and the violence during this last Ramadan period was the lowest in three years, Army Maj. Gen. Richard Sherlock told Pentagon reporters.
Also, last week in Anbar province, the coalition had no casualties, which is an important milestone, the general noted.
“Overall casualties in Iraq have continued to decrease, even though coalition forces have conducted a variety of operations throughout the country,” Sherlock said. “While this is indeed encouraging, al Qaeda in Iraq, other extremist groups and criminal elements in Iraq continue to be major threats
.”

We saw signs of this coming up on a year ago of course. Bush finally found the right General to put in charge. That is not a dump on Bush but is something we see played out in history time and time again.

If the trends continue(have not doubt there will be bumps in the road) the democrats will have to get off what was suppose to be their key issue. I bet many are kicking themselves how they treated Sen Joe Lieberman now!!! Expect a major shift o the economy. That might be productive because I do think the Economy is about to hit a natural cycle of correction. Presidents might get blamed but there is very little they can do to prevent the "invisible hand" from doing its work. That being said I think we see a Guy running for President that again is ahead of the curve ball.

From A Recent Republican Debate Huckabee said:
You know, a lot of people are going to be watching this debate, they're going to hear Republicans on this stage talk about how great the economy is. And, frankly, when they hear that they're going to probably reach for the dial.
I want to make sure people understand that for many people on this stage the economy's doing terrifically well, but for a lot of Americans it's not doing so well. The people who handle the bags and make the beds at our hotels and serve the food, many of them are having to work two jobs.
And that's barely paying the rent. And you know what else? They don't think that they can afford for their kids to go to college. They're pretty sure they're not going to be able to afford health insurance.
And so I hope, in the course of this, we can talk about how a fair tax really lifts up everybody, including those at the bottom of the economic spectrum and untaxes the poor people in our culture
.

2 comments:

Pro Ecclesia said...

"... we can talk about how a fair tax really lifts up everybody ..."

If he's talking about a flat tax, he's wrong about that. A flat tax would actually result in a tax increase for working families with children.

There's no doubt I'd pay more under a flat tax than I currently pay with all my deductions.

James H said...

LEt me say on the FAIR TAX I am pretty much undecided on that. I do relaize that Huckabee has embraced it. I see some good things about it and I do listen to peoples criticism of it. I am still coming to a position on it.

I think as to why I had that blurb was to show that Huckabee is aware that segements of the economy are hurting. Now as to the FAIR tax I guess one reason why I don't spend a lot of time on it is that to be honest I don't see it ever being enacted. Huckabee might set the stage for the discussion of it if he was President. But a major change in TAX policy of that magnitude just seems unlikely to happen during his term if he was elected.

I guess after seeing how the American people reacted to the SOcial Security debate I am not sure that this proposal has much chance of passing