Saturday, April 19, 2008

If You Have Liturgical Dance-“Close your eyes and think of England ”

That seems to be the most sensible advice I can give.

The Recovering Dissident Catholic has a great post here at The Abomination of Desolation

Liturgical dance is frowned in various Offical Vatican Catholic quarters. Because it is frowned upon a whole much of people wish to do it. Even though hardly no one likes it. In this great post she says:
Liturgical Dancing
A misnamed art form if there ever was one. I’m checking the GIRM and I can’t find the section where it says there is to be dancing during the liturgy of Holy Mass. Gentle Reader, maybe you can help me out?

It’s rarely couples dancing. I’ve seen a lot of this dancing (I don’t know what to call it: Crap? Stretching?). It usually involves individuals (primarily women) in skin tight leotards with a diaphanous dress or skirts over it sashaying around in bare feet using long dragging steps with dramatically flourishing arm stretches. I always wish they could reach for the stars and grab it or just do the Yoga Corpse pose and die already and put us all out of our misery! It’s like watching an exercise class. I’d rather watch an exercise class than participate, but I’d rather go to Mass to watch the Lord and participate in the Liturgy as IT SHOULD BE than watch a live commercial for Jane’s Tai-Chi class unfolding before my eyes!!!!

I’ve NEVER been a fan of this, this, this... Even in my dissident days, my teeth clenched when we had to sit there and endure the, er, interlude of dancing. When dancing looks like something I do when I’m imitating Robin Williams in The Bird Cage, I have a hard time thinking this is really advanced art or even something I can watch without laughing. I don’t know about you, but when I’m laughing during Mass it’s usually at human ridiculousness not anything The Christ does (Oh, He was such a funny guy! The Sermon on the Mount-hilarious! Condescending to enter the Bread and the Wine so we can consume Him-what a side-splitter!). What liturgical foolery will be next? Chant karaoke?

Go to the link for more. For those that have Valid complaints about the D.C. Papal Mass Liturgical choices at least there was no dancers!!!

No comments: