Friday, October 12, 2007

Louisiana Tech Gets a Very Nice Recruit!!!

Tomorrow is homecoming by the way. We are playing the New Mexico St Lobos. Pretty much both our offenses suck but I am predicting a win. I plan to attend the game. Go Bulldogs!!!!

Well we knew this was going to be a slow process in rebuilding. However the recruits for next year look stellar. I might try to go into that later in a more extensive post. However I wanted to point out this exciting recruit. Since this is a local Louisiana paper and articles have a habit of not being online long I shall post it all. Here is the article(pic at link) I am pretty pumped. I very pumped who is daddy is and hopefully we can create some sort of nice relationship with this school for the future. Nice PICKUP!!!!!
Atmosphere, WAC draws Griffins' Saia to La. Tech

GEISMAR - A number of factors went into Dutchtown senior offensive lineman Kevin Saia's decision to commit to Louisiana Tech - the campus environment, the coaching staff, the chance to play in a mid-major conference like the Western Athletic Conference.Oh, and the chance to travel to Hawaii in conference play a couple of times during his career did not hurt either."I liked the town of Ruston and the school," Saia said. "The coaching staff really stuck out for me. I liked the way they treated me. Most of all was the way I got along with the players when I went up for the visit. I hung out with them and got along with them."

the decision to commit early after talking to Louisiana Tech line coach Pete Perot two weeks ago."I talked to him like every week," Saia said. "The talk we had the Saturday before I committed was real big. He talked to me about recruiting and what I was waiting on. It just got me thinking, ‘What am I waiting on? Why put it off any longer?'"Through the whole process, I knew Tech was where I wanted to go in the back of my mind. As some teams eliminated themselves, that's where I figured I wanted to be. Why wait for anything because that's where I knew I wanted to go."

Saia said he considered a number of state schools, including Louisiana-Lafayette, Southeastern and Tulane. Southern Mississippi also started recruiting him harder as of late."That's where he wanted to go," Dutchtown head coach Benny Saia said of his son's decision. "He said there was no reason for him to put it off. That was where he felt the most comfortable at. It was like a load lifted off his back when did it. He gets to concentrate on the rest of his high school career and he's happy with it. That was where he wants to go so why wait? He liked the community and everything about it. I think it's a good fit for him."Kevin Saia, who is projected to play guard in college, said he needs to work on his overall conditioning and pass blocking before heading to Louisiana Tech. The Griffins have been primarily a running team in his high school career.
"But it's not like I have never pass blocked before," Saia said. "We work on it as much as anybody. It won't be a big deal like starting over or changing positions. It's just something I have to get better at and work on."Saia earned first-team all-District 3-5A recognition at guard in 2006 after helping Dutchtown rush for 3,179 yards.

Through six games this season, he has helped the Griffins gain 2,104 yards on the ground. Dutchtown is 6-1 going into Friday's game at East St. John."It's been great," Saia said of his career at Dutchtown. "I can't describe it in words. To be starting from nothing and see it build into a Top 10 program has been special."

Louisiana Tech is 1-3 under first-year head coach Derek Dooley. Two of the losses have come against Cal, ranked third in the country, and No. 16 Hawaii, the latter 45-44 in overtime. The Bulldogs are scheduled to play at LSU next month."He really like Coach Perot and was real impressed with Coach Dooley and the things they are trying to do over there to build a program that can compete in a very hard conference," Benny Saia said. "The WAC is a tough, tough conference. They (Louisiana Tech) have some work in front of them, but he feels like the new staff is going to bring that program in line with those other schools they have to play."Kevin Saia said getting to play in the WAC was a factor in his decision. The conference had Boise State defeat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last January and has Hawaii bidding for a BCS bowl bid this year.
"Some of the teams that were recruiting me were in Conference USA and I kind of had a pick out of Conference USA and the WAC," Saia said. "I liked the places you get to travel and the good teams you get to play. I've seen Boise State ina BCS bowl and Hawaii has a chance and they are in the same conference."


No comments: