Monday, July 19, 2010

Seventh Day Adventists in the Military

This Seventh Day Adventist Pastor ( and FYI former Catholic) has a interesting post that reviews a book on Seventh Day Adventists in the military. SeeBook Review: I Pledge Allegiance .

He is I believe also in the program for Seventh Day Adventist military Chaplains.

As I have mentioned before I have some Seventh Day Adventist influence in my family. I was never really exposed to any anti Government or anti military hostility though. That might have been because of regional influences or the fact that the family also had a lot of Southern Baptist in it that might have held it in check.

Still there is tension in some parts of Adventist thought because of their theology and the role many see the United states Government playing in the end times (it is not good). The fact that many Adventist think this end of the world scenario where the U.S. Government will be with the Vatican in persecuting Adventist is very much close plays a role. The whole "Sunday worship" and it's enforcement by the State and promotion (BLUE LAWS) is always in the background.

However as I have said at least with the Adventist I was around I never got a sense that military service was frowned upon. That could be just my personal experience though.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen/Nunly said...

I am so clueless when it comes to other religions and I had no idea that the Seventh Day Adventist believe that the the U.S. Government will be with the Vatican in persecuting Adventist during the end days is really strange.

James H said...

Oh yeah. I mean their whole end times theology is anti Catholic. We are the beast and all Protestants Churches that beliveve in Sunday worship are agents of the beast according to them