Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Power of Catholic and Christian Art

Image: The Scourging of Christ - by Antonio M. Ruiz
Angels collect the Precious Blood of Christ for our Redemption

I came across this picture quite by chance last night at Overheard in the Sacristy and his post Awesome! Vision 022508. It has stuck in my mind today and I spent a good bit of my coffee time this morning trying to remember where I found his blog.

Being out in the country I really did not grow up on great art. It is not impossible to do!!!! However one has to be raised by parents that really make an effort to expose you to it.

When I was in Chicago I went to the great The Art Institute of Chicago Museum and was just amazed at their religious art collection. You could learn and feel and pray the entire Catholic and Christian faith almost as you went through those galleries

I guess this picture touches me the same way. So many truths about Christ, the truth of the Mass(such as his one sacrifice), his precious blood, and the love of God is contained in this one portrait. Now I don't know a lot about thi s portrait or the painter or even if it is considered "good". However it communicates to me on a very personal level.

And yes I know Angels do not look like that :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe angels DO look like that, James. How would one know for sure?

Net
Cathlete.net