Sunday, April 20, 2008

A United States Secret Service Agent Part of A Miracle

Updated at bottom
There has been some slight criticism of the U.S. Security services around the Papal visit. At times the Secret Service appeared to get quite nervous when the crowds got a little excited near the Holy Father. I have read of a few reports of a nice hard jab to the ribs by some :)

However I think the Secret Service should get the benefit of the doubt. American have short memories but the fact that we lost JFK, RFK, Ford came very close to being killed and Reagan very very close has not left the Secret Service's memory. No foreign leader has been killed on American soil. God knows we are not going to break that lucky streak with something happening to the Pope!! I cannot even imagine the conspiracy theories.

Anyway I have also read stories where the Secret Service has reached out to everyday Americans during this visit. This is not the only story I have seen this week on this subject but is the most dramatic. Go see the the link'Agent' of God helps boy meet Benedict for the beautiful pictures:

When Beverly Ruiz and her wheelchair-bound son arrived outside St. Patrick's Cathedral early Saturday they had no hope of getting inside.
But all that changed when 9-year-old Aaron, who has muscular dystrophy, caught the eye of one of the
Secret Service agents safeguarding Pope Benedict.
Just moments before the historic Mass began, the federal agent singled out the mother and son and whisked them into the house of worship.
"After the Holy Father arrived and went inside, a man came up to us and said, 'We have a special place for you,'" Ruiz told the Daily News.
The Secret Service agent lifted Aaron out of his wheelchair and carried him up St. Patrick's steps. The agent then found a seat for the boy and his mother in the far right corner of the cathedral.
After celebrating Mass, Benedict walked over to Aaron.
"He came over and blessed him, and my son just smiled," Ruiz said. "It's just a miracle in itself, there's no way to describe it. It's just an absolute miracle that this happened in our lives."
Aaron and his mother, who were both wearing papal red, traveled from
Corpus Christi, Tex., to be in Manhattan Saturday to see the Pope.
"I had this vision weeks ago and told my spiritual director that I believed that my son would be healed," she said. "It was beautiful, it was absolutely beautiful."


I found one of the other stories that was saw and I thought I would post it. What strikes me as important in these stories is very the FAITH of the women involved. They traveled far distances all that God would provide.

Update-
From Pope2008 at 'God Will Provide'

I met Cyndi Smith from Steubenville, Ohio, who had an amazing story to tell.
She’s here with her son, Paul, and her daughter, Mary Elizabeth. Both have a neuromuscular disease but weren’t part of the blessing of disabled children. They weren’t a part of anything. They just wanted to see the Pope.
“We just drove up from Ohio,” she said. “My mom gave me her credit card and said, ‘Here, put whatever you need on here.’”
Then, as they were getting ready to leave, the diocese called. They had an opportunity for Paul at one of the events, but no one else.
Then Paul’s teacher’s called and said, “Get to the rally and God will do the rest.”
And that’s what she did. As she was walking through all the security stops, she got to a point where a woman secret service agent demanded: “Let me see your tickets.”
“Ma’am we don’t have tickets,” said Cyndi. “Paul’s teacher said, ‘Get him here and God will provide.’”
The guard said, “Here you go,” and handed them four tickets.

Cyndi thanked the guard profusely. “Don’t thank me!” she said.
Paul was taken to the rally, and Cyndi had to walk Elizabeth to a handicapped bathroom. The Sister Servants of Mary, ministers to the sick, saw her there and asked if she was part of the blessing of disabled youth event.
“I wish I were, but I don’t have tickets,” she said. They said, “Come with me.”
So they got up to the front gate outside the seminary, when Cyndi got a call from her son Paul. He was dehydrated. She had to leave her daughter with the sisters and get him. But then she wasn’t allowed back. She says, “No, my daughter is up there.”
She had to wait while they verified that with the sisters.
But she finally got back, in time to see Pope Benedict come. They family was now all together, outside the chapel, positioned right in front of him.
Paul had put a request into the Make a Wish foundation that he wanted to serve Mass for the Pope in Rome. He hasn’t done that, but Cyndi said her favorite thing was when the Pope stopped right in front of them and, “Gave a blessing out the window. You don’t put that into words
.”
-- Robyn Lee

No comments: