Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Pope Looking a Tad Tired? (Full Text of St Pats Homily)

I am sure this link is up at a thousand places but here is HOMILY OF POPE BENEDICT XVI
MASS FOR THE CLERGY AND RELIGIOUS OF THE UNITED STATESSAINT PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL, NEW YORK19 APRIL 2008
.

Perhaps it was the acoustics of the St Pats but I think I noticed a tad bit of fatigue on the Holy Father. His English is still good but I noted , at least for the feed I was watching, that it was getting a little harder(not much) to understand his English at times.

I think Amy Welborn yesterday made a good observation Oh forget it echoing a frustration(but a nice one) that even us younger folks have when she said:

Forget that bloggy, ongoing post down there. I’ll just do individual posts. I’m pretty much in a state right now. When Michael was just talking to me on the phone from Florida he said, “You know, what’s different about this trip is that it’s the first one of this kind - that we all have an interest in - in which the texts have been immediately available”…and with 2 or 3 events a day, having to digest all this, with curve balls (welcome ones) like the meeting with victims thrown in…who can keep up? I wonder about someone like John Allen who’s on television every time I turn it on. How is he keeping up?.

Imagine being 81 and doing it. I think just the meeting with Sexual Abuse victims and then having to address Catholic Educators, and get rested for a Mass in form of 50,000 people televised to the world would have me exhausted. He still has a day and half to go.

More to the point he is "observing". Actually observing us strange creatures called American Catholics takes energy too if one is trying to do it in active manner.

Anyway how he does it I don't know. I do hope that after he leaves we don't move on to the next topic and take a few weeks to digest all of what happened.

Update-
Amy welborn notes some things as to the Homily at Humility

People are started to not the Pope went off the prepared text and addes stuff at the very end . First go see Father Z' interaction with the Official Text at Benedict XVI’s sermon at St. Patrick’s in NYC . As to remarks at the end that are in not in the transcript see Pope at St. Patrick’s - initial reactions and especially the audio at What the Holy Father said at the end of Mass at St. Patrick’s . I will update when that is transcribed.

No comments: