Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This Flannery O' Conner Quote Never gets Old

If the Eucharist is a symbol, to hell with it

"
"Well, toward morning the conversation turned on the Eucharist, which I, being the Catholic, was obviously supposed to defend. Mary McCarthy said when she was a child and received the Host, she thought of it as the Holy Ghost, He being the 'most portable' person of the Trinity; now she thought of it as a symbol and implied that it was a pretty good one."I then said, in a very shaky voice, 'Well, if it's a symbol, to hell with it.' That was all the defence I was capable of but I realize now that this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside of a story, except that it is the centre of existence for me; all the rest of life is expendable."
-Flannery O'Connor in a letter to 'Hetty' Hester, Dec 1955-

3 comments:

GumboFilé said...

I grew up Roman Catholic and now consider myself a reformed catholic. I don't believe in transubstantiation but I do believe that something happens. I don't know what it is that happens and I don't know that any theologian or scholar can conclusively derive from the Bible or the church fathers what it is that happens, but whatever it is, it truly happens.

David in Grand Coteau

GumboFilé said...

ps, all that to say that, essentially, I agree with you and Flannery.

James H said...

I ave enjoyed reading a lotof Cajuns post on his view of the Real Presence.