Thursday, April 10, 2008

People Changing Their Mind on Benedict

We are Five days till Papal Touchdown here in the USA. I suspect as we can see from my posting s today that the number of Pope "posts" will go up. However when he arrives I expect I will do one or grand post a day only with links what others are saying. There will be a thousand other Catholics that can write better than I that will be saying a lot.

Anyway The Anchoress has a great post Loving Benedict & other Catholic things with her thoughts and some interesting links. What I like about her post is how she highlights how people have changed their mind about Pope Benedict once they read his works. The media has a lot of effect on how people view individuals and groups as to religion. Often it is unfair and those myths gets repeated especially in the Internet age.

I saw this recently when I was involved with the Huckabee campaign. Huckabee's faith was a big part of the media story on him. A Major part of the story were the many Evangelical Christians that were his fans. I suppose as a Convert from that faith tradition I caught just how offensive the reporting was and thus was being repeated all the place. One would think my Evangelical and Protestant neighbors down here were a bunch of intolerant, bigoted, naive, religious freaks. It was a lighter version of what you saw in the papers when the Temptation of Christ hit the movies screens.

Sometime even in this Internet age where the "facts" can be found after a hour of investigation on the net (after you get through the garbage) that we often don't know much about what our fellow Americans believe or their religious leaders.

No comments: