Sunday, April 13, 2008

Is Senator Webb a Disappointment to Paleo and Anti Bush Conservatives

Ross Douthat over at the Atlantic has good piece up on Democrat Senator Webb called Mr. Webb Goes To Washington. Senator Webb if you recall defeated incumbent Republican Senator Allen coming on two years ago in Virginia.

Douthat hits several themes in his piece. One being how certain "anti Bush" conservatives and Paelo Conservatives are disappointed he was not what they promoted. I am not a Paleo Conservative nor anti Bush , but I argued with them on many of a forum that what we now see would happen.

As to his talk of a third party or "populist party" I gave my thoughts to that in the second comment.

The problem with this third party stuff is it is a very limited universe voter wise I think. It seems after a few years of dialogue with Paleo Conservatives they seem very white and very male. The movement appears to have huge problems moving past this demographic. So the question is then how do they even win a Congressional House race before they even can take a Senate Seat. Pat Buchanan is fun on TV but I don't think he is what people want.

However what I find intriguing is that it must be the D.C wisdom that Obama if he is the nominee needs to pick him as VP. I find that odd. Is not the Virginia politician that Obama would want Governor Tim Kaine? Would he not be more attractive than Webb on many levels?

Update-
One person commenting at the above link had this view point ot my question:
Kaine is nowhere near as popular as his predecessor, Mark Warner. Kaine is more liberal than Warner and has had setbacks on his watch such as transportation funding (abusive driver fees, regional authorities' taxing ruled unconstitutional), the Dulles Metrorail debacle, and now controversy over the death penalty moratorium. If Mark Warner were not running for Senate, he'd be a solid choice for Obama's VP. However, I've long thought the ideal combination of the Virginia Democrats would be to have Mark Warner's relative moderation combined with Tim Kaine's comfort in his own skin.

That could be very so. I have to admit my understanding of Kane has been from largely glowing NPR pieces of him and similar National media. Which are not entirely reliable at times. I have a interest in this because VA is one of those States that Republicans CAN NOT lose. There is just no where else to make up the Electoral votes

1 comment:

Pro Ecclesia said...

As a former 15-year resident of The Old Dominion, I feel fairly comfortable saying that McCain should easily win Virginia (just as Bush did in 2004, despite the noises that Virginia would be close).