Thursday, December 13, 2007

Romney, Politics, and Changing of Definitons

I thought I woulld throw a rant out there on something that is bothering me. As I have stated before I have no problem with the fact that Romney is a Mormon. That is the last thing on my mind. Mike Huckabee , even though it is not being noted now, has spent a considerable amount of time trying to avoid the question if Mormons are "Christians" or if they are a "Christian Church". Now there is a reason for this. Because the answer he would give or any
"Traditional" Christian would give would be used and distorted against them.

Now I can't speak for Gov Huckabee but I expect his answer would be similar to mine. That Mormons very well might have a relationship with the Second person of the Holy Trinity and have faith in him .However they are not Christians as that term has been in used for almost 2000 years. Basically to be a Christian you must believe in basically what the Council of Nicea proclaimed way back in the 300's. That seems to be the basis of our common understanding of what a "Christian" is. Mormons reject that council. In fact they pretty much think the "Church" went off the rails right after Christ died.

Now I think that is a sensible answer. However for political correctness we are now having to say that doesn't matter. That is a problem. In a way it is similar to a situation I see in Louisiana. In Louisiana we have a ton of Pentecostals. Now no doubt I have met some Pentecostals that have a relationship with the living God that is quite evident. In fact I marvel at it. HOWEVER. One doesn't have to be in their Churches very long to realize that some of their views on the Trinity are very outside the Council of Nicea and traditional Christian teaching. They are basically either Arians or perhaps Modalist. Which means if you know your your Christian theology that they are not Christians as we know the term. The Trinity is one of those "non compromise" things in Christianity as we proclaim it

Now in reality down here we live and let live. No media is going around and asking politicians if they think Pentecostals are "Christian" or not because of their lack of Trinitarian beliefs. It seems to have worked. We all get along.

I guess I am finding it annoying that for sake of American politics we might be changing about 1700 years of common belief about the mainstream definition of "Christian" because we are afraid of offending people or because the political media fallout is just not worth it. It seems a very bad way to do "Theology". I really wonder how many Mormons would be offended by the answer I gave above. I supect not many would. Just like I would not be offended by their views of Catholicism which to say the least according to Mormon Doctrine is not very great. It just seems we are wasting a lot of time on this subject.

No comments: