Friday, December 28, 2007

Wow I just Love This 1962 Missal -Part II

A few days ago I was ranting on about my Christmas Present at Wow I just Love This 1962 Missal . I am talking about The Daily Missal 1962 from Baronius Press.

As I mentioned this Missal has lot of stuff not related to extraordinary form of the Latin Rite Liturgy. I was looking at the back part of the missal and discovered something great. That is a Proper of Feasts for Saints that are honored in England, Wales, and Scotland.

Now what struck me was this. Why in Heavens name do I not know so many of these great Saints that are a part of our Catholic Patrimony? I am assuming that many of this pre reformation saints are part of the current American Anglican calender.It is sort of odd that as a Country birthed from Mother England that we do not know them more as Catholics. Perhaps this all deals with the waves of immigration.

There is also many Reformation Catholic Saints that I was not aware of. Now one would think that in Louisiana some of these Saints would be more well known. Especially since the Cajuns got here because they would not take a similar Oath of Supremacy Clause. Perhaps the French just didn't like the English whether they were Catholic or not.

I should note that my Church in North Louisiana is an exception. It's name is St Margarets. Who was Queen and Patron of Scotland and whose Feast day is celebrated on Nov 16th. Bishop Greco who established this Church knew what he was doing. I am in a very Protestant area of Louisiana. However many of the descendants here are from Scot/Irish stock. I think I will make more of a effort to have our Parish to pray to St Margaret and ask her to send the descendants of her former subjects to our RCIA class

No comments: