Friday, August 28, 2009

Are Some Bishops Dissenting on the Health Care Bill

That is on issues that have nothing to do with abortion. The Deacon Bench has the New York Times article at

Health care reform: "It is the great tension in Catholic thought right now"

I really don't think they are dissenting. They correctly pointing out there are huge areas of prudential judgement here. I suppose they could in giving guidance to their flock say a Catholic Worth his salt must support any Health care bill (anything is better than nothing) but that would be a tad dishonest would it not.

3 comments:

Lazy Disciple said...

Dear James,

I only glanced quickly at the NYT blurb and the blog post, but I did not see any suggestion that there was anything other than the tension naturally attendant upon the public expression of divergent prudential judgment.

I remember when I defended the good faith of pro-Obama Catholics, and criticized the readiness and ease with which their fellow citizens and political opponents who are also their brethren in Christ and coreligionists passed osale judgment on their consciences.

Just goes to show that possession of a clean conscience no wise grounds for inferring the soundness of one's prudential judgment.

Best,
LD

Lazy Disciple said...

*wholesale judgment

James H said...

I agree with that. I think some people are a tad shcoked the Bishops have not gone all out on any particualr bill. Which makes sense to me why they have not