Friday, September 28, 2007

More on the Episcopal Bishop That Became Catholic

I am still going to try to pound out that post on the state of the Anglican Church I keep promising. Last night I went out and watched the football game, and was too tired to when I got home last night.

However the Canterbury Tales has a good post called In Defense of Bishop Jeffrey Steenson. That is of course the influential Episcopal Bishop that announced he is becoming Catholic.

Catholics are in a a difficult position here. We need to be aware of what is going on and be sure that we let these Episcopal priest, clergy, and lay people that they have a home int he Catholic Church. However we need to be aware how painful this is all is for Episcopals here in the USA and in the communion. I like Canterbury Tales take because well he was a former Anglican priest.

More later. On a side note Canterbury has a very interesting side post here where he reports:
I just heard from Father William Stetson who is in Rome with the Anglican Use pilgrimage. On Wednesday, the Anglican Use Catholic had special seating at the papal audience. Afterward, the Holy Father greeted the Anglican Use pilgrims. I wish I would have been there. Sounds like they are having an excellent time.

Confession Time here. I promote the extraordinary form of the Mass here a good bit. However in my college days one of my favorite things to do was to across across the street to the Episcopal Church to go to liturgy and Canterbury after. Great folks. I am a big fan of the Book of Common prayer in many ways. I would love to have a Anglican use Parish as my main Church to attend.

3 comments:

William Eunice said...

I came from the Episcopal church and I will be honest with you, I think a permanent Anglican Use Rite would do wonders towards bringing more Anglicans back into the Catholic Church.

In fact, if we had one locally, I would attend there.

James H said...

I think it would be a great idea. I am suprised with the heavy Episcopla presence in Louisiana mor ebIshops did not explore that option. PErhaps they should doing that now

SJ Reidhead said...

That's my diocese! Now, it's let the games begin - and I do mean games.

Jeffrey Steenson is a very nice person. While I was doing 'interim' church secretary, before he was elected bishop, I worked with him quite a bit, to the point of first name basis.

SJ Reidhead
The Pink Flamingo