Saturday, May 5, 2012

Exhibit 1 Why I will Take Scripture, Tradition, And Church Fathers over Catholic Opinion Polls

Catholics are a long way from when everyday people would talk theological matters with some amount of sophistication  with their hairdresser in the days of Augustine.

The Deacon Bench has Jersey jolt: most Catholics in survey say Jesus sinned

We also learn that  57 percent of the Catholics believed Jesus had sinned during his time on Earth also thought Christ  was “no different” from other human beings . Only 28 percent of non-Catholic Christians thought Jesus had sinned.


The whole survey can be found here , and I hope people read it. They ask many other questions. I suppose it's good news 89 percent of Catholics pray to God but this apparent "spiritual  but not religious" does not seem have much of an effect on the CORE CHRISTIAN doctrine above.

I suspect there might be something regional going on here to a certain extent. That is I think for instance if the questions were asked lets say in the Archdiocese of Atlanta things might not look so bleak. Still I suspect some numbers on views like we see above I bet would be at concerning levels nationwide.

Why are there few Priests ? Well may I suggest if the majority of Catholics in this Dioceses think Christ was just another guy that relates to the Vocation problem not celibacy. As I often point out the Vocation crisis is visible symptom of the problem not the problem itself.

There has been much talk , about the "Sense of the Faithful " sensus fidelium and Catholic Doctrine. But what if the Catholic Faithful are idiots?

That is one reason why I will take the 2000 year Teaching for the Church, Scripture , Holy Tradition , and the Church Fathers over Catholic views of those that just happen to have the privilege of walking around at the moment on such matters as marriage, holy orders, abortion, contraception, and other matters.

It appears sadly from this survey that is a good bet as always.

5 comments:

SJ Reidhead said...

Yikes! Sounds like the old Episcopal Three Legged Stool: Scripture, Reason, Tradition!

Better take care, you could become one of us.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

James H said...

LOL. The three leg stool would be a vast improvement or even just 2 legs in this DIocese

Undergroundpewster said...

I think our Episcopal General Convention voting records (we have a "democratic" system of sorts) show a similar level of ignorance of basic doctrine and Scripture.

Undergroundpewster said...

James H,

I think SF should add this blog to their Catholic Blog list. I will send that suggestion in.

Geaux Tigers!

Anonymous said...

I leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a article on a
site or if I have something to contribute to the conversation.
It is a result of the fire communicated in the post I
browsed. And on this article "Exhibit 1 Why I will Take Scripture, Tradition, And Church Fathers over Catholic Opinion Polls".
I was actually moved enough to post a commenta response :-P I do have a few questions for you if you do not mind.

Could it be just me or do a few of these remarks look like written by brain
dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at other social sites, I'd like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you list the complete urls of all your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Feel free to surf to my page harbor