Thursday, February 10, 2011

UK Document On Catholic Deacons Praised By The Vatican

The UK Catholic Herald has brought my attention to a Document on Catholic Deacons from a Diocese over there that has also got the attention of the Vatican. The article is Vatican praises Lancaster document on diaconate

I have to say the document that can be viewed and downloaded here is impressive!!

I have one minor complaint. Of course I do which is why I am OPINIONATED.


It is important to keep in mind that the
deacon is not ordained to replace
participation by the lay faithful but to
facilitate it. Therefore it is appropriate for
deacons to assist in the formation of altar
servers, readers, and extraordinary ministers
of Holy Communion. This service of
formation is a very appropriate expression
of the deacon’s role as servant of the
worshipping community
.

I have no problem with extraordinary ministers of the Holy Communion as long as we get back to the extraordinary part of it. Sometimes we have so many of these folks in the Church I just think it is for the purpose of giving them something to do. I think this is leading to a informality that is becoming counterproductive.It seems that In the Church itself having a deacon itself means less need for extraordinary Ministers.

Anyway besides that I am really enjoying reading this.

By the way Happy Blog Birthday to Louisiana Catholic Deacon abitadeacon .

4 comments:

Andy said...

Hear hear. Nothing quite like seeing a guy in a t-shirt and shorts saying "the body of Christ" to inspire reverence. We should rename extraordinary ministers to "in case of an emergency only" ministers.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Thanks for the link..

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Do you mind linking to my new blog?

James H said...

LOL Andy I so agree!! I we can go back to an Altar rail I think we can can get reid of half the problems

Hey Jackie. Sure thing great to see see again. Will add you later today