Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Is Catholic Georgia Looking For Some Good Episcopalians?


Well I think they have their opening here. The Episcopal Bishop of Georgia is speaking . See SPRAY HITTER via MCJ.

The Georgia Bishop gives some rather bad and misleading history there too IMHO.

That being said I can't help to think that outside some trendy Episcopal Churches this is going to go down very well in southern GA.

Now as I have mentioned Catholics sometimes have the misconception that all Episcopals are Anglo Catholic leaning. This is false. Different regions seems to have different ethos. From High Anglo Catholic Church to Low. From a Catholic understanding of the Anglican Faith to an Evangelical and Reformed view.

For instance I get the impression (though I am not sure) that the very Orthodox South Carolina Episcopal Diocese is not very Anglo Catholic leaning.

What is it in Georgia? Well I don't know. Episcopal Church Georgia Is divided into two Dioceses. The Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta (Atlanta Northern Georgia) and the Diocese of Georgia (the south and taking in part of northeast Georgia).

The Catholic Church there also has two Diocese . That is the BOOMING DYNAMIC Archdiocese of Atlanta we read so much about. Then like the Episcopals across the street they have a Diocese headquartered in Savannah. Things could be going gangbusters in Savannah too I just don't know. Further I am not sure how much overlap land wise there is between the two Catholic Dioceses and the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia.

Regardless in the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia it appears the writing is on the wall and at some point we shall have two competing jurisdictions of Anglicans. So Catholics might as well start making their appeal now to those Anglicans that are reconsidering their position and might be open to new Anglican Catholic structure. I mean if there is going to be a defacto schism anyway there is no reason for us to sit on the sidelines.

In the end it never hurts to give the invitation and show that they would be welcomed. The South I feel is where we can see results so I am hoping the Catholic powers that be are doing something there.

No comments: