Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tea Party Movement Playing With Fire In New York Race

I noticed this item today (Thanks Instapundit)

Reboot Congress has St Louis Tea Party takes on the GOP

You know people can do whatever they want in this race but some of this does not seem logical or helpful. In fact I think it will backfire.

First I am not sure we want to see a trend where GOP elected folks outside districts are going to interfere and support a non GOP person. As I have noted elsewhere if people want a more conservative person in race x to win then they would be better off electing people and organizations to do that in the various districts.

I am not sure it is productive at all for Tea Party folks ,that in their words are as to the GOP "in the process of taking it over", protesting in Missouri to have GOP Congressmen and others back a non GOP guy in New York!!

Do we really want to go down this road? Would it not be better for the Tea party folks to run people to get into power in the GOP party structure in that district? I mean does this not seem to run counter to a long held GOP principle and conservative one too of local control? I mean do people in lets say Missouri know the inner dynamics of what is happening in my neck of the woods? I have no problem with people sending money or giving opinions in the primaries but this seems like a bad idea.

A few concerns-
One unless there is some "DAVID DUKE SCENARIO" I don't think the GOP elected officials or groups should be interfering in races outside their locality and supporting a non GOP person. People in their private capacities can do whatever they want. THESE GOES FOR ALL FOLKS IN THE GOP ORBIT whether they are liberal, moderate, conservative, or Libertarian.

One thing these folks have got to tell me is if this is going to be a trend.

That is if in future primaries if their guy does not win are they going to take their toys and go home. Or will they shake hands say see in in the next primary but we shall work for you to win the general. If it is " we lost we are outta here" then outside the tea party movement is going to join that sort of party?

I understand the concerns but I think this is all counterproductive.

Update- I am going to have more thoughts on this later so look for an update. Needless to say I disagree with the GOP person running in NY on a lot of core issues. Still what I say holds. People need to be thinking long term. What happens if for instance a pro-lifer got nominated up there after a bunch of hard work. What would say to the pro choice Republicans to get them to vote for that person. Support the PARTY? Coalitions are partnerships. More later as I respond to a similar blogger.

Update II-
I have related thoughts here at The Factions of the Tea Party Movement -Can They Get Along?

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I see this all the time with both parties. They don't think ahead. This kind of thing is like a chess game, you have to be three steps ahead of your opponent.

James H said...

I totally agree

I sent this link to Instapundit and gave him these additional thoughts

"I think the tea party movement needs to decides what they want to be. If they want to be a separate movement or party great!!!

I keep hearing they don't want to associated with the GOP. Well fine!! But if they are in the process of taking over the party as we see somewant how will they act on the concerns I mentioned.

Also what are issues that we can have disagreement on without incurring the wrath? I mean what if I am 99 percent with them on everything but I support immigration reform do I become a TPINO (Tea Party In Name Only) ?"