Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Governor Bobby Jindal Should Consider Vetoing Proposed Birther Bill

From the State of Arizona we have news this morning that the Republican Governor of Arizona vetoed the "Birther Bill".


In other news we learn that while not part of the Governor's of Louisiana legislative package, Jindal might sign a similar piece of legislation if it comes to his desk. See Gov. Jindal will sign 'birther' bill if it reaches his desk.


I suspect that Jindal thinks like I that this is all a big waste of time. Heck he might think like I that Obama is playing a lot of conservatives by letting this play out. Regardless I am not sure Jindal should have the "well if the legislature passes it well what can I do" attitude. I hope he thinks about this as the AZ Governor has done.

The Governor takes this oath of office:
"I, . . ., do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution and laws of the United States and the constitution and laws of this state and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as . . ., according to the best of my ability and understanding, so help me God."

I am not making a determination if this proposed birther election law for Federal Office is unconstitutional yet, but there are issues. See this post Is Arizona’s ‘Birther’ Bill Unconstitutional? by lawyer Doug Mataconis . He makes some good points that cannot be ignored. Jindal by his Oath must at least engaged these somewhat obvious arguments and problems. I would not be promising to sign a piece of legalisation till I saw the final bill and engaged the underlying problems.


No comments: