Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How the Kennedys Became Pro-Choice With the Help of Catholic Priests ( A Response)

I am thankful that Mark Stricherz responded to some of my questions I posed in my entry How the Kennedys Became Pro-Choice With the Help of Catholic Priests .

I am also thankful because he has posted his response on his blog NEW CATHOLIC POLITICS at his post Don’t Blame the Kennedy’s for Making Abortion-Rights Respectable. A blog that I had lost track of where I had found it . I will be sure to add him to the links.

I posted a comment there and I shall reproduce it. Again I never heard of this meeting and my main objective is not to challenge Bobby's faith.

In the comment I left I said:(correct for some spelling errors)

Thank you for your response to some questions I had. I will be sure to post it. For the record my main concern is not challenging Robert’s faith.I have just never heard of this meeting before.
Also the theory that if Robert had lived that things would have been different as to abortion politics is one that seems to be circulate more and more and not looked at with a critical eye at least on the blogs. Again this is before my time and I am just curious


I will mention the fact that Ted Kennedy was Pro-Life till 76 I don’t think is a great argument. Like many conversions experiences on this issue the transition seemed to be quick. Like Jessie Jackson’s for instance.

I guess what disturbs me is to my knowledge the alleged very pro-life viewpoints of Robert seemed to have never been passed down to any Kennedy or their relations that are involved in the public square. Why is that?

Now I know this happens. For instance it would not shock me that if the Pro-Life viewpoints are not shared by the children of Hale and Lindy Boggs., In fact Lindy told me that the issue causes some tension even in her family back in the 90’s

Still the Kennedys are a large clan and the fact that I can’t think of a Pro-Life Kennedy or Shriver that is involved in politics that is pro-life sort of makes me wonder about these things
.

Note when I say" alleged very pro-life viewpoints" I don't mean to say Robert's position was unclear at the time. I guess I am wondering looking though at Ted Kennedy's 180 on this issue as well as numerous others I am not sure that the theory that Robert would have been different is so ironclad. Maybe it would have happened. It is very nice to think that and very depressing to think that a bullet at hotel in California had more of a evil effect than we realized

Again this slightly before my time to say the least. But he makes some good points.

No comments: