Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Great Catholic Convert Has Passed On- Father Richard John Neuhaus, 1936-2009 (links)

He will be difficult to replace. He passed away this morning. First Things has a post up.

To be updated with Links throughout the day. No doubt Chuck Colson who know doubt is pondering Fist Avery Dulles and Now Neuhaus will have some thoughts. For the Pro-life movement to Ecumenical relations, to Poltics , to ranting against the English Bible American Catholics are forced to use Neuhaus was in the thick of it.

A Lutheran blog Called Cyber Breathen has some thoughts at A Grief Observed: Richard John Neuhaus, 1936-2009

Another (This was Father's former Christian Community) fellow Lutheran who worked with Father Neuhaus, Anthony Sacramone, has some nice thought here at Quote of the Day: Richard John Neuhaus (1936-2009)

The Dallas Morning News has a helpful link to NYT Book Review that gives details of his life. See More on the death of the Rev. Richard John Neuhaus

John Allen Vatican Reporter for NCR has a excellent Obit

John Podhoretz over at Commentary Magazine has good thoughts and brings another part of his life to the surface

Michael Sean Winters over at America Magazine has a nice post with a somewhat humerous line learned of his serious illness last night and since then have felt like a cat who falls and doesn’t land on all fours, disoriented, and very sad.I remember the first time Father Neuhaus attacked me in print: I felt on top of the world. For a left-of-center person like me, being attacked by Father Neuhaus was a badge of honorTo gain the notice of someone with whom you disagree is much more flattering than to gain the praise of a mentor or an acolyte. .....

Inside Catholic has Fr. Neuhaus' personal reflection on death. I am struck by one of refelctions that is mentioned that he had when he had was a near death experience. I wonder if many of us will have very honest one:
Tentatively, I say, I began to think that I might live. It was not a particularly joyful prospect. Everything was shrouded by the thought of death, that I had almost died, that I may still die, that everyone and everything is dying. As much as I was grateful for all the calls and letters, I harbored a secret resentment. These friends who said they were thinking about me and praying for me all the time, I knew they also went shopping and visited their children and tended to their businesses, and there were long times when they were not thinking about me at all. More important, they were forgetting the primordial, overwhelming, indomitable fact: we are dying! Why weren’t they as crushingly impressed by that fact as I was? .

Rod Dreher AKA Crunchy Con , also from the Dallas Morning News too, has thoughts here

This blogger has a nice timeline of his Life

Peter Wehner over at the National Review Corner blog has a A Tribute to Father Neuhaus

I should mention that the Ratzinger Club has a nice collection of his work online here

A Nice tribute at Red State here

Be sure to check out the Anchoress at Richard John Neuhaus, RIP - UPDATED

Ross Douchet over at the Atlantic has a nice post up Very good

The American Scene is also a must read

Ramesh Ponnuru has a very nice post that include what Father Neuhaus expected to do when he met God face to face.

World Magazine has a nice obit here that is worth a nice glance from the Evangelical viewpoint

1 comment:

Carlos Echevarria said...

Father Neuhaus was a great man, a defender of the faith and an intellectual of the highest order...May he Rest in Peace!