Monday, December 29, 2008

A Little Known African American Church Tradition Celebrating the Emancipation Proclamation


I must say I was never aware of this rather cool largely African American "Liturgical Event" that occurs in Church on New Years Eve and New Years Day and has been for 150 years. I guess I thought juneteenth was the the biggie. I don't hink I am alone in this regard

Get Religion has a pretty good article on this that needless to say takes on added significance this year I suppose for African Americans. See The theology of liberation

Do African Americans do This Church Event Much In the South? Is this mostly a AME thing or more widespread down here. I would like to attend one this services one day

1 comment:

Dymphna said...

Never heard of it and I grew up in the oldest black parish in DC.