Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I really Need To Do "Advent" This Year

Being Catholic or Orthodox, or a Protestant from a Liturgical tradition is great. I am getting pretty convinced if one just truly lived and "did" the Church calender each year not only would your up your likelihood of heaven be increased but earthly life would not be so boring at times. I love the different feast days and Holy days. But how I love the Seasons. I think Catholics like lent alot. However, I have always always had a tough time doing a good advent.

I converted in College and to say the least those formative times when I first experienced Advent were chocked full of very non advent things. In my case it was starting a new quarter. While my friends on the semester system were in the middle of dead week cramming their heads full of stuff for exams. So I don't know if perhaps all Convert College age converts sort of get off to a bad start. My main memory of advent was our radical priest at Louisiana Tech. IF the Vatican said x he would do z. I recall that the Church was saying please no purple vestments don't make this like lent. Well of course the Catholic student Center was a purple blob by the time he finished.

Now I am not a radical on advent. I am not one of these Catholics that say NO CHRISTMAS TREES , No Lights, No Christmas songs etc during advent. Times change and we would should quit pretending it is like the 1600's. I think all these things can be done with the attitude of "preparing" which a lot of advent is about. However I do think we Catholics need not to shut down Christmas the day after Dec 25ht since our Calender tells us that Christmastime should go on for a period of time.

Anyway I thought the Anchoress had a good post on this “Empty your hearts” in Advent. I expect I will be talking news so don't expect that to stop. I suspect the Anchoress will be too. Especially with the 08 primary elections to hit. I am going to be talking more Huckabee. But I think I need to use this blog a tad to focus on Advent a tad.

On a side note. What is up with my generation. What happened to "Christmas parties". It seemed my parents generation entertained all the time during this time of year. Why don't we do that? It seems like people my age are getting less and less into that.

No comments: