Friday, March 18, 2011

An Important Episcopal Church Property Case From Texas -

See MASTERSON v. DIOCESE OF NORTHWEST TEXAS

I have an interest in both the fights over property in the Episcopal Church and really the matter Church property litigation as a whole. So the case is interesting. As you can see it is a victory for the Episcopal Diocese and the National Church.

I want to read the case again in detail before I comment on how much a victory this is for the The Episcopal Church USA. I think the Diocese actually had a strong case here and should have prevailed like it did.

I am not sure untill I re read the opinion what this means if lets say a DIOCESE itself in Texas wanted to leave the TEC. Does the court opinion tend to hold that all property is held in trust for the national Church if such a thing happened. I am not sure which is one reason I want to look at this case in more detail.

No comments: