Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Help I Need Someone That Knows Florida History and Genealogy

I have a little personal genealogy blog on the side.

I am in need of someone that took some Florida History class either in high school and college. In researching my ancestors and trying to pin them down .

In a will I discovered: " to treasurer of Heriot's Hospital in Edinburgh, North Britain; my mother's picture; seal with coat of arms; Emaranthia Richardson, wife of John Richardson of East Florida"

What exactly was East Florida thought of as during the time period of Spanish and British rule and lives of these possible ancestors of mine which was 1700 to 1760.

I also discovered this note that sadly does not give me the dates or names of these wonderful news papers mentioned



John Richardson, son of John Richardson "the elder," was born about 1699 and died in Orange County, SC in 1781. In 1729, he married in Orangeburg, S.C., the beautiful Amarenthia Smith, daughter of Thomas II and Sabana.

At the time of his marriage to Amarenthia Smith, John had a home and warehouses in St. Augustine, FL. South Carolina Newspaper notices record both his marriage and travels.

The last will and testament of George Seaman, published 1769 at Page 287 in Charleston District, SC Will Book RR 1767-1771, devises a legacy to Amarenthia Smith, wife of John Richardson, of East Florida.Two grandsons of John Richardson, Francis "Frank" Richardson m. Martha Gaulden and Henry Richardson m. Elizabeth (nee ?), settled in Wilkinson County, MS 1810-1815. Both Frank and Henry are sons of RWS Arthur Richardson and Hanna Mitchell (RWS pension record reflects he married Mrs. Hannah Mitchel ).

So was St Augustine considered East Florida?. What else was considered "East Florida"? It seems it would be WEST Florida but whatever. I know there was a English settlement there. Again the areas that were British and areas that were British and the time frames have me confused because I am not sure "Florida" as I see it on the map looked like the Florida then. Did Florida at that time for instance include parts fo Mississippi? I am know a lot about Spanish and French rule in Louisiana. Elsewhere not so much

Update-
Ok I now see . West Florida was the Louisiana Florida Parishes and much of Southern Mississippi and part of the panhandle. The rest was East Florida.

Still need help finding resources though for East Florida under Spanish rule (hopefully in English)

Update II-
I suppose the records couldbe after 1763 when I think the Brits took control. Was there a substantial English settlement there under Spanish rule?

4 comments:

Carlos Echevarria said...

Off of Wiki, I know kind of weak but maybe there is something useful??

http://brokert10.fcla.edu/DLData/CF/FullText/fhq_54_4.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Florida

James H said...

Thanks!!!

SJ Reidhead said...

How absolutely incredible! Very few people have such a FL pedigree. I'm only 2nd Generation Florida.

You may have caught a break with the SC connections. I think SC has a decent genealogical society. Also, check the regional LDS Family History Library. In SC they are very gossipy, and have an excellent grasp on local interests.

How incredible!

Good luck.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

Richardson is a big name in the Upstate. Contact the Pendleton Historical Society - they have a visitors center there - you may be able to find a connection that way.

James H said...

Thaks SJ!!

Yeah I will have t post myu line. Let me say I have not confirmed that line yet. I think it is possible. I more interested in the SC angle because there is a possibility that I that Smith mentioned is the granddaughter of the Landgrave Thomas Smith that was ORyal GOvernor of SOuth Carlina

I have bben on many SC Genalogy web sites the past few weeks lol