Saturday, June 4, 2011

Phoenix Cathedral Rector Writes on 7 Common Communion Abuses- I Comment

This is via Caritas in Veritate and his post and link Cathedral Rector writes to his parishioners about 7 Common Communion Abuses

I have to admit some of these are strange because I don't see them in my area. Maybe some communion abuses are regional. My main one that drives me up the wall is a few folks chewing gum in the communion line before receiving. I mean who raised or are raising this folks. This is an abuse the people will see in the Pews and not the Priest. Why? Because when they in front of the Priest they have "parked" the gun in the back of the mouth.

Anyway here is the list and my comments:

Blessing oneself with the host before consuming it. (The act of blessing with the Eucharist is called “Benediction”and is reserved to clergy).

OK I used to see this in the past more than I do now. In fact I was never sure it was an abuse. Basically a person takes the Host goes a couple of steps and then does the Sign of the Cross while looking at the Crucifix . Like I said I saw that much more in the past now. I never thought of it as an abuse but I see his point. I think it might be a example of people wanting to do something devout but again the Priest has a point, But here is another point. If the Priest never DOES Benediction how will the folks in the pew have a clue about this.

Popping the host into the mouth like a piece of popcorn.

OK seen that and that is bad

Receiving the host in the palm of the hand,contorting that same hand until the host is controlled by the fingers,then consuming it (resembling a one-handed “watch-the-coin-disappear”magic trick).

OK that is different and I have never seen that in my area

Attempting to receive with other items in the hands, like a dirty Kleenex or a Rosary.

I actually thing a dirty Kleenex is a tad different than a Rosary . A nice reminder would do which I think this Priest is doing. I might slip up on this too as to the Rosary.

Receiving the host with dirty hands.

This is a good point. It's also something a Priest would see and person in the pews could not. I actually receive communion on the tongue so I never think about this. I think only once in the last 5 years I have received in the hand. That being said I think a friendly reminder about washing hands would do well here. Heck lets recall that during Cold and Flu season it has to be pounded in our heads to wash hands a good bit. So I think this might not be intentional

Receiving the host,closing the hand around it,then letting the hand fall to the side (as if carrying a suitcase) while walking away and/or blessing oneself with the other hand.

I can see how this an abuse and just a friendly reminder this should not be done would be good.

Walking away without consuming the host.

OK I hear of this but never seen it. THAT IS A MAJOR WRONG

Giving the host to someone else after receiving (including animals)…yes,it happens!

I hope that is not common!! Lord Have Mercy if it Is.

Here is the biggest Communion abuse I suspect happens. People in mortal sin taking the HOST. However allowing these abuses to happen does not help the confession lines.

Finally Father says:
When Holy Communion is received on the tongue…every single one of these abuses is instantly eliminated!

EXACTLY RIGHT. Plus add kneeling at an altar rail and a lot of this goes away.

No comments: