Monday, January 3, 2011

The End of the World In May 2011?

I think I linked to a story about this a month or so back. It appears this movement is a lot bigger than I thought. Get Religion has a good overview at The end of the world.

The Get Religion piece does mention that the fact that this man making the prediction has done this before (and of course was wrong) which seems to be an important fact to put in these articles.

The fact he might be encouraging people to leave their individual Churches so to prepare is concerning too. There is no indication he is doing it this time but it appears he was doing it in the 90's.

What seems important is Family Radio!! which it appears Harold Camping owns and operates. I did not make or notice the connection when I first heard of this story. Family Radio is nice size operation as to potential audience. I can recall them having a pretty good powerful shortwave signal.

I suspect this is not going to go over well with even the most fundamentalist of Churches. As you can see on this page he seems to have departed from some other doctrines too. Inclduing this according to the Wikipedia page:
Camping teaches that the "Church age" is over, that Satan now rules in all churches, and that no person remaining in a church at the time of the Rapture can be saved. He distinguishes his ministry from a "church", saying that Family Radio does not have a "membership" or hold "authority".

Well that is different and I suppose contributes to the anti Church attitude.

No comments: