Monday, April 20, 2009

Those wacky South Louisiana Baptist and Their Wedding Rituals

I must say I have never heard of this Baptist wedding rite before. I saw this on my football board.

and the ceremony was Baptist, then we went up the steps to where the reception was to take place and they did the "Persian" part of the ceremony. It was pretty neat. They hold a cloth over the couple and EVERY female there took turns rubbing 2 pieces of sugar cane over the blanket as to symbolize "sweetness" in life. Then the drinking and dancing started. It was very wild. They had this old man dancing with every female there. I called him the Persian Pimp Anyway, the wedding rocked and I wasn't the only one there without a coat .

Now no I am not shocked that there drink and dancing :). Contrary to CW that is not rare at Baptist weddings. It is not just occurring at the fellowship hall but at the country club.

However I hope this "Sugar Cane" (insert you native vegetable , fruit, or herb) ritual not is becoming common place. I would expect this as some idea one would see in a goofy Catholic Church some place where Sister Sandals and Father Rainbow is presiding. :)

Baptist Weddings are not my favorite. It seems for the lack of liturgy that Baptists substitute a incredible number of songs sung by any family member that has any degree of perceived talent. This would not be so bad if not for the majority of times there were not some rendition of Some say love by LeAnn Rimes (Which appears to be the unoffical Baptist Wedding Song Anthem that is required) and another painful rendition of Wind beneath my Wings. I swear 30 minutes of most Baptist weddings are secular songs I truly hate.

On the flip side are Southern Presbyterian weddings that are much too short!! You barely get into your seat and it is over.

However Methodist seem to have got it down just right though

No comments: