Friday, April 3, 2009

Good News From the Mother Country- Archbishop Vincent Nichols to Become Catholic Leader of England and Wales at Westminster

It was not the most favored person by the most Orthodox but a welcome relief from what might have been. The Clerical forces that have so wanted to destroy the orthodox Catholic faith in the UK have been defeated in my opinion.

Whispers is reporting the news which means by the time most of mostly American readers see this will be fact when they wake up.If Rocco is reporting it from his nest in the City of Brotherly love then I take it as fact.

The always good Damian Thompson at the UK Telegraph gives the nuts and bolts with promises to tell the real rough politics on all sides leading to this choice later on . See Archbishop Vincent Nichols is the new leader of Catholics in England and Wales, sources confirm Damion no doubt will have very useful commentary later on. This pick is significant for the Anglo Catholics in the world and for those in their sphere of influence.

I must say I am relieved. Bishop Arthur Roche of Leeds would have been a disaster and there was a late push for him by people opposed to Pope Benedict because they wrongly thought they saw a weakness in our Pontiff. I am glad that Pope Benedict pushed back.

Make no mistake Archbishop Nichols is not the person many orthodox Catholics wanted but he is a hell of alot better than what we thought we would get just last week.

We can just pray that Pope Benedict and the future Leader for all practical purposes of the leader of English Catholicism have had a meeting of the minds on what the future is. This pick by Pope Benedict will be of utmost importance perhaps of any pick in the English speaking world in the long run.

Let us pray for the for the Archbishop and future Cardinal of Westminster. A lot is riding on him

5 comments:

Thomas Kennedy said...

Everything is coming together for an announcement after Easter and before Pentecost about the future of all those Anglicans, world-wide, who want to come into full communion with Rome. This choice hints that Pope Benedict is preparing for just that.

James H said...

I hope you are right. I have to admit I have heard so many rumors about announcements of this kind I will believe when I see it

Chris Osgood said...

I didn't know that bishops could become bishops of other countries. I guess I should have known that they could, but I think that's cool.

So Arch-bishop Nichols is going to become a Cardinal with this position?

James H said...

So Arch-bishop Nichols is going to become a Cardinal with this position

Not yet. But it will bec oming in the next few years

Chris Osgood said...

Thank you for making that clear.