Friday, May 23, 2008

What will be the Final Fallout From the Hagee Situation?

Deal Hudson had an very good post on the McCain/ Hagee situation at A New Relationship Between the GOP and the Religious Right? He says in part:

McCain's rejection of the endorsements, added to his already well-known reticence toward religious activists, places a marker in the political landscape that will last into November and perhaps afterward.
There will be those who applaud McCain for distancing himself from the "fanatics" on the "Religious Right" -- they will argue that McCain will gain moderate support as a result. Maybe. Much more important, however, is the message this sends to the religiously conservative voters who have given the GOP its winning edge for nearly thirty years.
Ronald Reagan won their support with his famous "I endorse you" line at a 1980 rally with Evangelicals in Dallas. McCain explicitly reversed that line yesterday to do what he had to do, but it does not bode well for a candidate who needs those voters in the months to come. It's not the moderate voters who will raise money, register voters, print and pass out voter guides, call their neighbors, and drive people to the polls.
Right now those kind of voters are wondering just what they are going to do
. "

So true. Now I wish Deal Hudson had been rasing these concerns when those opposed to Huckabee were trying to hang Hagee around his neck. Deal was sort of involved in that charge as well as others. I spoke out several times that people needed to think this through. But in a primary campaign things get out of control. I spoke on this at McCain Embraces Anti -Catholic Hagee Horrors!!!! among many other places .

Rod Dreher of the Dallas Morning News had a excellent post that touches where we find ourselves today at Huck, Hagee and tolerance and followed it up with a excellent piece here at Huck contra Catholics.

He said part:
This is stupid -- I mean, if Huck, or any candidate, appeared before an orthodox Catholic Church, he would be speaking to a group of people who believe that Protestantism is badly defective (and if he spoke to Latin mass traditionalists, the view of Protestantism is even more critical). If a candidate spoke at a Mormon church, he'd be talking to people who believe Christians belong to apostate churches. If he spoke to Muslims -- I mean, come on!-

What can of worms have we opened here? I have since the beginning stated that I find it ironic that Catholics have gone from not being welcomed in Evangelical Churches, to being Welcomed, to now since we have arrived we now have become the PC Theology police.

One other irony. Please see my post Louisiana Democrat Chairman that Ran Anti Catholic Ads Re-elected .

I stated the following at Deals post in the comments section:
Deal, I know I have differed with you on Hagee at times.

First let me say I think you are right on with your concerns. I also commend you GREATLY for doing the right thing with meeting with Hagee. That is is truly a great thing and is a great by product of Catholics and Evangelicals working in the public square.I guess my question is why were these concerns not voiced more when it was a issue of Hagee and Huckabee. I think this issue got of control too early on. I share similar concerns now and did then I find this partly ironic.

In Louisiana the State Democrat Party ran a sophisticated anti Catholic Campaign against Bobby Jindal in North Louisiana which is very Protestant. The Churches that denounced it and stood by Bobby were ones that do not have a very pleasant Catholic theology viewpoint.The Chairman that authorized and ran that campaign got reelected to head the Democrat party. This was over the objections of Democrat Lt Gov Landrieu who said that the anti Catholic ad campaign was a disgrace.

But a not a peep of protest from the Catholic political world or Catholic Conservative bloggers over this latest development.I find my self in a strange situation the past year , where anti Catholic theology wise Pentecostals and Evangelicals are fighting for a Catholic, an Democrat Lt Gov is raising concerns and yet many Catholics are focused of making lepers of political allies because they do not like their theology. It is indeed a strange world.

Strange World indeed. I do wonder if a perhaps people on all sides of a Republican Primary fight set in motion months ago new standards we shall all regret later on.

No comments: