Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Importance of Catholic Families

I talked earlier of how at Bishop Duca's Installation for the Diocese of Shreveport I was struck by his parents. It was truly a blessed thing they were alive to see it. There was a glow on their faces.

I thought of this when I read this great post by a Boston area priest A Concord Pastor Comments at this post here.

It is shame that Texas Catholic( The Catholic Newspaper for Dallas) does not have their full edition online. At Bishop Duca's installation they were passing out copies which has a nice supplement on Bishop Duca. The front page story was on his family as well as another story on how families had nurtured their sons vocation.

In a sense that when we are talking about future vocations this is a tad depressing because lets face it the Catholic family was not what it was was. In the end the Catholic family is the key to every thing. As the Catechism so well puts it it is the domestic church.

Anyway I was very touched by the above link and his description of his father. As a convert of course I experienced none of that. However I am still struck how Catholicism seems to bring out that side in Catholic men. We need to get that back. I notice there is a difference in generations of older Catholic men and men of my generation as to this. That is not "progress" Anyway good read

No comments: