Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rod Dreher , Muslims and the LSU Newspaper

I often link to Rod and his site Crunchy Con. I think it is a must stop for those interested in faith, politics, and culture. Rod is a LSU grad that worked for the National Review and now is at the Dallas Morning News. I find his blog one of the most informative on the net.

I often link to people I disagree with. Rod is no exception. I agree with him more than disagree and his writing does show though that conservatives are not all of one stripe.

Like I said I agree and disagree with him on issues such as Bush(he is a big critic), the Iraq War(he does not have a very balanced view IMHO) and especially immigration. The immigration issue and his stance is one that perhaps pains me the most. I do wish one of the leading Christian Conservative voices on the net could be a tad bit more of moderating influence than just throwing red meat to the wolves. However he does really good work and he makes me think. Even though at times he drives my blood pressure up.

That being said I am in big disagreement with his latest post Dhimmitude on the bayou. This is referencing a column by a LSU student and Staff member of the LSU Student newspaper that wrote 'Hijab Challenge' successful, enlightening

Rod says in part:
Now, just imagine a state college newspaper giving a column to a fundamentalist Christian who uses it solely for the purpose of evangelization. Wouldn't happen. Shouldn't happen. But anything can be justified in the name of diversity. Ms. Elmasraya may be a pushy activist with a one-track mind, and a mediocre, jargon-dependent writer to boot, but the lady obviously knows a thing or two about how American newsrooms work. I predict she'll go far.

We have a choice in America. We can try to make Muslims part of mainstream America, and many are, or we can force them underground.

The problem is there is no double standard. I have seen the LSU student newspaper publish works by very devout Catholics that touch on their faith and often on that and the public square.

As soon as Rod wrote this quite a controversial Column by Louisiana Blogger and former staff member of the LSU Paper came to my mind. That is America needs to stand against homosexuality

I blogged on it here at Student Newspaper Writer Sets Off Storm On Issue of Gay Marriage!!! and LSU's Student Newspaper Column by Catholic Writer on Homosexuality Gets Heated Reaction.

Mr Denton , who is also a member of the LSU Catholic Parousians group, wrote:

It's a debate I'd love to have. Ideally, I should talk about why practicing homosexuality is intrinsically disordered and why it prevents one from loving fully. I should discuss recent works like the famous "Theology of the Body" by Pope John Paul II. If I did however, I would be risking expulsion, and I don't want to leave the University. This risk is made possible by the University's policy on free speech. In the Student Code of Conduct, the Non-Academic Misconduct policy states that "Extreme, outrageous or persistent acts, or communications that are intended or reasonably likely to harass, intimidate, harm or humiliate another" may be grounds for misconduct charges, which means that one's "continued presence at the University potentially threatens the property, health, safety, or well-being of members of the University community."

That sounds reasonable, except that the definition of a harassing communication is left vague. Gay rights proponents have used this vagueness to silence any criticism of homosexuality in colleges across the United States. An organization called the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has been at the forefront of this fight, and they're familiar with the University. The Daily Reveille reported in May 2006 that FIRE intervened on behalf of the Muslim Student Association (MSA) ,which was attempting to achieve recognition from the University. The MSA had been denied organizational status because it refused to put a nondiscrimination clause in their constitution. This clause would have allowed gay people to become members, which contradicts Islam. Freedom of speech notwithstanding, it took MSA a year and a half to finally gain recognition from the University.

Theology of the Body? Good Grief. As I wrote back fall as to Michael's article I thought it was a well put together article. It also shows the importance of having well grounded Catholics in journalism. There was were other writers too that wrote in a similar vien

The problem is if we are going to silence Muslims at a paper that is on a International Acclaimed University why should Michael not be silienced. What was threatening about her article?

I have a hard time understanding why a writer (Rod) that talks about Faith in the public square cannot see that throwing out charges reckless charges of Dhimmitude on the bayou because she wrote a column on the Hijab means censorship of the Hijab today and censorship of the John Paul the II Theology of the Body in columns tomorrow.

Now it is true, that I am not aware of LSU Catholic Journalist being given a platform for outright Catholic Apologetics at the LSU paper. Perhaps they did. However Christians have been printed urging people to stand up for Christian Culture.

Of interest is all the hate mail she received. Hate mail that is not much off the tenor of comments responding to Michael's article. That shows me we need to have this discussion.

We are at war with a enemy that wishes to destroy us. Driving Muslims underground , especially, at a University will do nothing but aid our enemy.

Update- I found another blogger that agrees here at Dawah in the Reveille (by the way if you are of Cajun or Acadian Heritage check his blog out). He states in part (he has added some to the entry):

Rod Dreher is upset that the Daily Reveille, the student paper at Louisiana State University, has a Muslim columnist. He dubs this, Dhimmitude on the Bayou. (He clarifies in responding to a comment by me that he’s not against having a Muslim columnist, but he thinks she crossed a line and was proselytizing).
I think this is instead a sign that religious freedom is alive and well at LSU. He wonders if they would let a Fundamentalist Christian speak of their faith in the same way. Well, they certainly let conservative Catholics serve as columnists, and they let them speak their mind–search for the names Tobias Danna and Emily Byers, and you’ll see examples of their work. I suggest the Daily Reveille is to be commended for something that few college papers would do–have regular columns by people of diverse faith backgrounds who speak intelligently and persuasively about their faith
.

I agree totally.

Update. The above LSU Columnist touches on this post , the above article and other things at My experience as the "Catholic columnist" for the LSU's Daily Reveille

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

I wanted to really thank you too for your thoughts and discussion. I completely agree that dialog is needed and part of my aim at the Daily Reveille was to give a voice to American Muslims- whose voice has been silenced way too long.

I have many friends that are Christian and they completely see where I come from, and I'm just really glad that there are people who are willing to be open-minded and not take what the mainstream media spews at them.

Anyway, thanks again I really appreciate it.

Shirien

James H said...

Thanks

And dont worry about the hate mail you recieve. That is always a minority or people that feel braver sending off rants behind the secrecy of a computer screen

I took exception at Rod's title and did not find it helpful.

I see where Rod is coming from and to understand his response one has to review his concerns about Muslim assimilation in parts of Europe. WHich are valid. However What I don't understand is if has problems with assimilation why is so upset with the fact that Muslims will talk about their faith. Lets face it American talking about Religion is a one of big past times so we cannot say oh no you can't do that.

In the end this tension as to new people and immigrants have always been with us. Needless to say I don't expect the problems we are seeing in parts of the UK to be seen in Baton Rouge. From the American Moslems I have met it is a whole different dynamic. However that is where Rod is coming from and at times I think he hits that submit button a little quick before thinking his posts through.