Monday, May 5, 2008

Catholics, Notre Dame, Indiana, and the Klan (Indiana Primary Edition)

I was researching a famous remark that has gone down in American political lore as a piece of anti Catholic propaganda when I ran across this tune

I’d rather be a Klansman, in robes of snowy white, Than be a Roman Catholic, in robes as black as night.For a Klansman is an American, and America is his home; But a Catholic owes allegiance to the dago Pope of Rome!

How times have changed. However since we have the Indiana Primary tomorrow it might be well to note that in that State the Klan and Catholics met in a huge battle and the Catholics won!!!. Yes, I am saying something good about Notre Dame here. Hell has over indeed on this blog.

Go see Notre Dame vs. the Klan
On May 17, 1924, two uniquely American institutions collided in northern Indiana: the Ku Klux Klan marched on the University of Notre Dame. The re-born Klan was at its apogee, feeding on the Protestant majority’s fear of the rapidly growing immigrant population – a population that was largely Catholic. Notre Dame was also growing rapidly in size and power, as it became the most renowned and beloved Catholic institution of higher learning to those same immigrants. To the surprise of both the Klansmen and the Notre Dame administration, the students reacted violently to the robed men who challenged their patriotism and impugned their faith. The confrontation changed both institutions forever.

Reviews of the book are here.

I am talking bloody riots and fists flying for days!!! I am amazed again another part of American Catholic History is not taught. I was never aware of this till I went to Chicago a couple of years back and a older gentleman I was visiting with at the train stop told me about how his Catholic grandfather took part in all the excitement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story. I'll link it.

James H said...

Thanks

I am trying to find something online that goes into this. I intend to order this book throught the library. It looks good