Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Huckabee Remarks On the Alamo

I am going to be do a post on the Wisconsin numbers and where Huckabee goes from here in a post coming coming up. It shall be realistic. I hope my regular readers know by now that despite supporting Huckabee I am not Pravda. Also I will do a post regarding the exit polls numbers regarding illegal immigration.

Anyway Huckabee is going on for to Texas(more why I think this good for all of coming up. CBS has a nice blurb on his remarks this morning. However I really enjoyed this part:

“To all those people who have voted for me and who have stood faithfully with us…to Texas we go,” he said, “And Texas is a state where independence matters a lot. People there don’t like to be told what to do, how to think, and how to vote.” The candidate plans to visit the Alamo in San Antonio on Thursday, and a reporter asked if Texas would become the Alamo for the Huckabee campaign. “Well, we’ll see,” Huckabee said.

“There is a lot of symbolism. The Alamo is an amazing place, and I’ve been there on many occasions. I never go to San Antonio when I don't try to go there. I always read the speech by William Barrett Travis who perhaps made one of the most courageous stands of any American I can think of. Perhaps in a way indicative of how he sees his own campaign, Huckabee said, “People sometimes think of the Alamo as a defeat but it actually was the springboard to Texas victory and independence.

Had it not been for the Alamo, there would not have been a Republic of Texas, so there is a lot of history there -- history of courage and valor and also of people who stood by their convictions no matter what.” “And even when Travis and the people of the Alamo knew what might be an inevitable fate, they did not flinch and they did not waver in their commitment because they knew what they were doing was not about them.

They knew that it was about something much larger then themselves and that's why I think when we go to Texas, we go with a real sense of resolve and purpose and direction and, you know, a commitment to see it through."

Asked if people would be saying “Remember Huckabee” the same way they say “Remember the Alamo,” Huckabee said, “I don’t know, we’ll see how that works out. This time, you know, the Alamo story may turn out differently, so we’re going to hope for the hope."

No comments: