Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another Louisiana Cemetery Story

I added the Graver's Journal recently to my blog list. Like me she enjoys cemeteries.Her latest journal entry is about a small Baptist Cemetery on the Bayou near the town of Ramah. You pass it when you are going between Baton Rouge and Lafayette on I-10. Again so many stories just off the road as her post illustrates. Go see Brothers’ Last Christmas.

I might put some of my Claiborne Parish cemetery tidbts up at some time. We have tragedy as well amusement in our cemeteries as many places do. There is a cemetery out in the middle of Kisatche National Forest that has a grave for medical Doctor which monument states "Featherston, Arm of John W. M.D.". Yes his arm and just that. Here is his arm. How and why did this happen? Well it is a funny story that I am sure that no one reading cares about unless your are around my neck of the woods. However that is one example.

I read an article on if kids should be in Kindergarten. This British guy said of course not. He said they need to be taken to airports and to hotel lobbies quizzing perfect strangers about their travels and other fun stuff. I would add cemeteries to that list.

Sometime I need to scan my photos from the Catholic cemetery in Zwolle. Zwolle is in North Louisiana and is a very unique place to say the least.

The cemetery there is much like the average cemetery in North Louisiana with one exception. The quality of art works and engravings that are on the graves. It is stunning. Just typical memorials but with the most amazing engravings and artwork. They have the deceased Fishing and in his bass boat., The deceased riding his Harley, and a ton of stories. It became so elaborate that I think the Church had to impose some rules as well who could be buried there. It became the most popular cemetery in town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love it if you shared some of your Claiborne Parish cemetery stories! There are so many untold tales in every graveyard, and they deserve to be heard. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks, as always, for the compliments. I still haven't been able to find out what happened to the brothers, and am hoping quizzing my mind-like-a-steel-trap grandfather (who lives in Maringouin) might give some clues! I'll let you know.