Friday, February 22, 2008

Twenty Years ago In Louisiana History

Jimmy Swaggert Confessed!!!!. Wow I feel old.

This actually happened 20 years ago yesterday. Jimmy is still going strong. I listened to him on occasion on the radio when I am traveling and I hit one of his stations. When I was in school at LSU his ministry was just down the street where I was living. However it was odd. There was at the time an uncompleted buidling that stood right by the road that was sort testament of the downfall. He has rebuilt but his influence and audience is not as big as it was in the day.

Jimmy Swaggert was and still is not that that pro- Catholic to say the least. I hear that he gave poor Bishop Ott of Baton Rouge fits at the time.

On another Catholic note the first major popular work of Catholic Apologetics we had seen in decades and decades here in American revolved a great deal around Jimmy Swaggert and his arguments against the Catholic Faith. That is Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians" by Karl Keating. That book in many ways was the foundation in my view for the greatest explosion of Catholic Apologetic works in the English world we had seen since those great movements we saw in the late 19 and early 20th century century in England.

Here is a story as we remember 20 years ago today: Jimmy Swaggart confesses .

No comments: