Thursday, June 26, 2008

Should Catholics Return To The 3 Hour Fast Before Communion?

I would say yes. In one of two entries I am about to post that Father Z has up he engages the In the Light of the Law, canonist Edward Peters arguments that this is a need(Be sure to look at Mr Peters entire Article/Proposal on this that is available for download in pdf format where he address concers and more benefits) . I so agree. Go see An argument for lengthening Communion fast to 3 hours again .

In fact I hate to say but now many times I approach this fast time in a Pharisees type way!!

Again Father Z gives some great commentary to Mr Peters proposal.

I was struck besides the obvious benefits in a spiritual sense of these points he made:
5. The brevity of the current fast means that Catholics with guilty or doubtful consciences have no discrete way to refrain from going up to Communion without attracting attention, resulting in pressure on them to approach the Eucharist under conditions that risk profanation.

I think there is a lot to that!!!!

6. Imposing as a requirement of law what is scarcely impossible to avoid doing anyway (how many people really eat and drink on their way to Mass?) makes legal norms seem like empty exercises, in turn fostering a diminished respect for the role of law in ecclesiastical society.

Now I can hear the outrage already. Stories of people who could not eat or drink after midnight before they receive communion the next morning etc etc. Of course I always note that even the people who rant about this seem to miss those days and recognize it served a purpose.

Of course we are not talking about 8 or 9 hours but three.

Update-
Looking at Father Z's comment section is interesting. Now looking at this I have no clue why I did not know this before:
Mark:”A lot of people skip breakfast anyway. That’s all that you need to do if you go to Mass in the morning. I don’t eat after midnight and have a nice Break-Fast around 11:45 am when I get home. That’s where the word breakfast was dirived. You were breaking your fast – after Mass.” Thanks for posting this.

No comments: