Friday, July 27, 2007

Was George Bush the "first" Catholic President?



That is going to be the subject of a post I shall have on this blog tomorrow. I have spent a couple of days tracking down info and finding speeches that I have remembered Bush giving over the years.


Like segments of the Republican base, Catholic Americans often don't appreciate what they have in George Bush. Often they get Seventy percent of what they want and then spit it back in his face as insufficent. We are in fact spoiled to a large degree. However, the realization of what we had might come into sharp focus depending on who gets into the White House in 08.


The post will be not a cheerleading post for the Republican party either. The sad fact is that more politically "progressive" Catholics failed to appreciate the opportunties he gave and is still giving us. I hope first to set the record straight about Bush. Some of the things I am seeing coming from "conservative" religious blogs are insane and just wrong. Second, I hope we see looking back the opportunities we missed so we don't miss them in the future.

No comments: