Monday, July 16, 2007

A Blogger You Should Check Out And A Few thoughts on Knowing the Faith

I was going to start going into my other favorite topics of politics and other issues of importance. However, I havve decided after spending a enjoyable evening reading Catholic blogs, to put off my take on the IRaq Conflict, who I am supporting for President, and other matters for a few hours.

In the days when I just starting my Catholic journey at Louisiana Tech, Catholic works were hard to come across. I spent many of a night reading the long neglected tomes of the writings of the Church Fathers in the Tech Library. There was no EWTN in Ruston Louisiana in those days. That year at a retreat for College Students during the summer someone introduced me to a little book by Karl Keating. That book called ,Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on "Romanism" by "Bible Christians was a Godsend. That book in many ways was the start of the Apologetic revolution in Catholicism. Scott Hahn and others were just around the Corner.

Now no American Catholic with a access to the internet can truly plead ignorance. The Wealth of Catholic teaching is displayed on countless sites around the World. If you are under 25 you have no idea how blessed you are.

I truly believe that the internet is one reason why Catholicism has respect by even those that disagree with us in other faith communities. The disagreements are still there but the Ole Jimmy Swaggert rants against Holy Mother Church are now so amateurish that no Protestant Apologist makes them today. That is because largely the average Catholic has the wealth of a university Library and much assistance from great minds at his fingertips.

One great blogger that has terrific insight is the Historical Christian blog. She is going through some chapters of the Pope's book Introduction to Christianity. She really grabs some important insight from those pages. Insight that I flew over my head when I read those same pages.

Go Check out her posts here, here and here.

The Pope's writings over the years is indeed a hidden Jewel.

4 comments:

Bobby J. Kennedy said...

Hi,

I just found you via Kyle Potter's blog "Vindicated." Since we are both Louisiana dudes I thought I'd drop in and say hello. I gather you are in the Diocese of Shreveport, no? I live in your Diocesian territory. I am Anglican and in the Diocese of Western Louisiana - Episcopal. I'll keep up with your blog.

pax et bonum,

B. J. Kennedy
www.bobbyjacksonkennedy.blogspot.com

James H said...

HEy there. I will def add your blog to myu list. I follow with great interest what your Bishop is doing right now. I think he is a very prayful and courageous man in this difficult times

JH

James H said...

BY the way. I used to live right across from the Chruch of the Redeemer in Ruston and went to Canturbury evey week. We were the Catholic Crew that hit the evening service and ate afterwards.

I used to love to go back and pray in the back chapel that was open 24 hours

Bobby J. Kennedy said...

Perhaps we have talked before?

I don't make it to Redeemer or Canterbury very often. I am either at work or at my Parish on Wed. night.

I know Kevin Cuccia and Will Lancaster from Canterbury and Tech. I'd imagine you know them too.

If you're ever in the Ruston area feel free to say hello. I work at the Lincoln Parish Library and of course stay in touch here. Thanks.