Monday, July 30, 2007

Is the Virgin Mary the Answer to Islam?

I have to admit I am enjoying running into the writings of Archbishop Fulton Sheen. He was of course way before my time so I am sort of rediscovering him for myself. It seems that in the United States he was the Catholic version of Billy Graham back then.

Father Joe over at his blog has a thought provoking piece that Sheen did back on the 1950's on Islam. I too have always thought it was interesting that the Virgin Mary in the early 20th century appeared in a Village that has the same name as Mohammed's daughter. I always assumed that Moslems gave this name to the village when they controlled it. However that is not the case. Sheen points out as to the village:"the last Moslem chief had a beautiful daughter by the name of Fatima. A Catholic boy fell in love with her, and for him she not only stayed behind when the Moslems left, but even embraced the Catholic faith. The young husband was so much in love with her that he changed the name of the town where he lived to Fatima."

As Sheen said in that article ,"Nothing ever happens out of Heaven except with a finesse of all details. "

Read the whole Sheen article. Perhaps Russia was not the only place to be converted.

No comments: